Trying to Find Another Boxie

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
I want to add another female to my herd. I've got two males that fight like dogs and one female who is harassed. I'm keeping them all separate. However, I dream of having a happy family one day. So, I'd like to add a few more females eventually. I started last year (buying in late 2012) with my first adult female. I bought her online and she was supposed to be captive bred. However, I'm pretty sure I was lied to about that.

So, I've been looking since November for an adult ornate or three toed female for a reasonable price. I have not seen one at the various sites I check for even an unreasonable priced that I believed was captive. I'm getting bummed about it.

Does anyone know where else to look beside the pet stores who ship that I can find on Google? I monitor craiglist, but I'm wary of that generally and haven't found anything anyway.

There are juveniles available through Exotic Pets Las Vegas/Ken Foose (off of Kingsnake), but I'm not sure they are captive. I'm afraid I would end up with another boy. Has anyone purchased from them?

I'm beginning to think I'll just live with what I have.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I get all of mine from craigslist. I have only had two problems and those where people who set up the deal and then never called back to schedule a meeting place. Pro-tip. Only go to houses if you know the area and the people give you their phone number. Never on an email only. And if possible, meet them at the local strip mall. I always ask if they can meet me at the closest Petsmart because we can meet inside with the animal in hand.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I got my juvenile from exotic pets Lv I don't know how to tell if he's captive bred but he's a hatchling so I'm guessing he is but overall I think he is a great place to order from.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Bibbit said:
I want to add another female to my herd. I've got two males that fight like dogs and one female who is harassed. I'm keeping them all separate. However, I dream of having a happy family one day. So, I'd like to add a few more females eventually. I started last year (buying in late 2012) with my first adult female. I bought her online and she was supposed to be captive bred. However, I'm pretty sure I was lied to about that.

So, I've been looking since November for an adult ornate or three toed female for a reasonable price. I have not seen one at the various sites I check for even an unreasonable priced that I believed was captive. I'm getting bummed about it.

Does anyone know where else to look beside the pet stores who ship that I can find on Google? I monitor craiglist, but I'm wary of that generally and haven't found anything anyway.

There are juveniles available through Exotic Pets Las Vegas/Ken Foose (off of Kingsnake), but I'm not sure they are captive. I'm afraid I would end up with another boy. Has anyone purchased from them?

I'm beginning to think I'll just live with what I have.

Ken Foose is a great guy, but years back I got a group of 3toeds from them and the ratio was totally incorrect. I ended up with 5 males and 2 females. I wasn't happy but I don't blame him. 3Toeds from certain areas can be hard to sex. I think they try to sex mainly by head color, but that's not a full proof way by any means. Mind you this was probably 7 years ago lol so don't think I'm saying NOT to order from them. I'm just saying you will likely get a male, especially this time of year when the remaining stock is mostly males. Some that I got years back from them were without a doubt wild caught but others could have been captive bred.

My advice to you would be this. Wait until April when the inventory of 3toeds goes up big time and select a female by photo. Post that picture on the forum to verify the sex before final purchase and then you can rest easy that you got what you wanted.

PS. What price range are you hoping for? Aren't 3toeds generally 60-100?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Yes, from what I've generally seen, they are $75-$100. I suppose I am waiting by default. I'll see if perhaps March and April brings out more activity.

And I look at Craigslist and the only boxie I've seen lately was a male. Besides that, I've window shopped on Craigslist for years and even when I see something I'm looking for, I can't pull the trigger for fear of being the one in a million murdered by a poster. I'm sure I'll keep looking, though.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I would love to adopt, but I can't find one locally. Lot's of posts on craiglist for people wanting to adopt (free turtles) for a supposed rescue, but I haven't been able to find a legit one. If anyone knows of one, I'd be happy to pursue it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Bibbit said:

Where in Texas are you? I adopted two from craigslist this week alone. 1 Male and 1 female in the Dallas area. They are nice. The male, named Pepper Pebbles was a "girl" and the female, named Franklin, was a "boy", LOL. She looks to have more than a little Gulf Coast in her as well. Pretty little girl!I met each at a Petsmart because you can meet inside the store with animals.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I have missed those craigslist ads somehow. I guess I don't check often enough.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I am in the same boat, Bibbit! I think I want to get another female, but it is going to be late summer/early fall before I can afford one.. hopefully there will be more available by then!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
All I can say is keep looking. So far I have rescued five adults that I paid total $140 for and 7 juveniles including 4 awesome Gulf Coast and 3 wonderful, although they are sick and need daily shots now, Ornates for $260. Not bad at all really since I got most of them a few weeks or months apart. I even got a pretty little Russian female for no cost because the person loved my garden and wanted her to be happy. You never know until you try!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
What part of Texas are you in ? Im in San Antonio. I have a very nice ornate that im looking to rehome. pm me if interested.