Trouble with heat

mrl05140

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hello,

I have a 10 year old redfoot that is finally living properly (heat, substrate, etc.). I've had her August. She is in my classroom as a class pet...however, my classroom can be chilly and I'm having trouble regulating her heat being on school break...Any ideas? I am currently using two heaters to regulate her for her tank to read 78-79 not under the heater during the day and one heater shuts off at 5.

Should I leave both heaters on? I have a digital thermometer that is telling the temp. I'll replace the battery tomorrow to ensure it's working correctly, but I didn't know if there was something else I can do to help regulate heat in her tank because my classroom is so sporadic. I already emailed the custodial staff to ask if they can turn up the heat.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A thermostat set to the temperature you want the enclosure at would turn your heater on when it falls below that and off when it goes above that.

One like this

b01e9io6n0.main.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. A picture of the enclosure would really help. Is it fully enclosed, with a lid? Whst kind of heaters, and do you have them connected to a thermostat?

Upload a few pix. It’s much easier to heat up and keep humid a fully enclosed enclosure than an entire classroom.

mrl05140

Vermont
Greetings. A picture of the enclosure would really help. Is it fully enclosed, with a lid? Whst kind of heaters, and do you have them connected to a thermostat?

Upload a few pix. It’s much easier to heat up and keep humid a fully enclosed enclosure than an entire classroom.

It's a glass tank, large size, I know it's not good, but it's all I have right now. It is covered. I covered the front with plastic wrap and the back is open beside one small corner with aluminum foil. There is air flow. I have the dome heaters and a light. One dome with a light and a heater and then another individual done with a heater. I have the repti-sun bulb and a ceramic heat emitter in 100 on one side and 150 watt in the single. They are connected to a timer for keeping them on, but not a thermostat.

mrl05140

Vermont
I don't usually have a problem when I am there and it's been good all winter, but now that we have break I'm not there constantly.