Trimming Baby Turtle Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
I've had my baby box turtle Eugene for a few months now. He still spends his days buried in the substrate. I dig him out a few times a week to soak him. I change his food and water daily. Because he's hiding out all day and not using his basking rock, his nails are getting long. Does everyone use just regular human nail trimmers on their turtles?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Box turtles usually get pretty long nails. It aids in digging...Don't cut his nails. If your worried they're excessively long, post a picture so we can give you a better opinion.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
They're not terribly long but are growing and I thought I had read that they should be trimmed if they get too long. I can take a picture tomorrow. I just put him back in his habitat after a soak so I don't want to bother him again tonight. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Thanks!

JessiKY

5 Year Member
Here is a pic of Eugene's nails. I guess they're not terribly long. They are longer than when I got him in October. If you say it's best not to trim them I'll leave them alone. I'm just an over protective new turtle mom. Love this little guy!

The photo didn't attach. Here it is.

image-923929073.png

Attachments

• image-3137633798.png
    image-3137633798.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

JessiKY

5 Year Member
His tank stays at about 80 during the day so I think he should be warm enough, right?

JessiKY

5 Year Member
I had just disturbed his bath time. I read the coil UVB lights are bad. Should I get a different UVB?

JessiKY

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm a nervous new turtle mom. I will leave his nails alone and get a different UVB light.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lititz, PA
JessiKY said:
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm a nervous new turtle mom. I will leave his nails alone and get a different UVB light.

If you design a natural enclosure, typically the nails take care of themselves. Providing some rock (even feeding on a ceramic or stone tile or dish) and plenty of digging opportunities will enable the turtle's nails to be managed similar to how they would be in the wild.

JessiKY

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
If you design a natural enclosure, typically the nails take care of themselves. Providing some rock (even feeding on a ceramic or stone tile or dish) and plenty of digging opportunities will enable the turtle's nails to be managed similar to how they would be in the wild.

He has a rock and a stone dish to eat on and dirtbto dig under so I think he should be ok. I had just noticed his nails were getting longer and wanted to see if they needed to be trimmed. I foster for a dog rescue and have six dogs so I'm use to trimming lots of doggy nails. I had read somewhere that someone trims their turtles nails so wanted to see if that's something I should be doing. I will leave them alone. Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.