Trevor's 1st Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
You know what? I don't think I've ever taken a plastron picture of Trevor. I'll have to get one. hehe

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Kate,
You did a great job being a gourmet cake chef for Trevor!
HE is sooooo cute in those pix. Yes, please enter them in photo-contest! I'd love to see his pix for the whole month.
:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Plastron pictures, as requested. The little buddy hated it! I think this is the only time I have fully flipped him over. Hadn't realized his belly is so dark. I'm still thinking boy. Thoughts?

I already entered a different picture in the contest, so no go for the birthday ones unless I misunderstood the rules (thought we can only enter one picture)

18oqqp.jpg

1znwuif.jpg

v3krgm.jpg

24yy88j.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I was thinking girl too---only because the shell doesn't dip down very far in the back.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love Trevor's markings!! His shell is very light and pretty (er, handsome! ;))
I'm used to Nelson's dark M-shaped markings.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmmm the plot thickens. Thanks for the info everyone! I think if we find out Trevor is a girl we couldn't change his name. I've heard of that before. :) I am very beginner at sexing and I can usually only tell by the tail, so I was thinking boy just from the fact that he wags it (I know it's too soon to tell from the tail though and girls can do the same). I trust the experts! One of the reasons I chose a "boy" over a "girl" was adult size. Not sure how soon we'll have a yard for Trevor so the least space necessary the better. Now I'm wondering if a huge expansion will be necessary as girls can get quite a bit larger than boys. Was hoping I could put part of a second story on Trevor's enclosure and that would be enough even for an adult size of 5-6 inches, but probably not if he gets the size of an average adult female Russian, 8-10 inches!

Luckily we can give Trevor as much space as he could ever need in our house, it would just require more work on the enclosure. No idea how you all with tons of torts do it. I've already thought of expanding the enclosure to hang a bit off each side of the cabinet we have it on to add more floor space before building up a bit.

Wondering how much green coloring he'll retain as he's gotten more dark recently. So adorable! I picked him based on coloring from a group of a few hatchlings.

Thanks again everyone. Hope I can get back on here soon and chat but life is crazy right now. Got married a couple weeks ado and you think I'd have more time now that the wedding planning is over, but so not true. Best wishes.

Danny: Were you thinking girl before I posted plastron pictures, and that's why you asked me to post them? Or, are you just curious now that he's not so young? I was wondering about that...

Status
Not open for further replies.