Traveling with my Sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedricsulcata

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I have a 1 year old Sulcata, Named Cedric. He is my baby! I live here in Southern California but I am moving to Boston, Mass. On the 30th of this month. Please please please, can someone please help me by informing me on the rules and regulations of traveling with my tort. I want to bring him in the cabin with me, but have heard many different things about traveling that way. Some people say, I can totally do it, I just need a good carrier. Others say absolutely not, no matter what you cannot travel with your tort. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi cedricssulcata, and welcome to the forum!!

You'll probably have to call the airline and ask what their policy is. I know years ago I went from Calif to Texas to a very large bird show and on the way home there were several people with birds in carriers on the plane. The carriers were stowed beneath the seat.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
I tried to fly with my tort and was denied. Offered to proved health certificate also. Maybe they have lightened up since then. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I know of no airline that will allow a live reptile in the cabin with you. You will likely have to overnight ship it to yourself.

What are you going to do with a 100+pound tortoise in Boston for 8 or 9 months of the year? Might it be better for the tortoise to leave him behind with someone in a warmer climate? Just asking. Its certainly possible to keep sulcatas back there, but are you prepared for that level of effort, space and expense?

Status
Not open for further replies.