Trampoline enclosure

turtlelog

Location (City and/or State)
northeast texas
Can someone tell me how to adapt a trampoline frame into a pen for 2- 9 month old Sulcata tortoises? Just want it for daytime sunning and grazing. I have a hide box for it. Will take them to the house at night. Thank you![emoji217][emoji217]IMG-20171110-WA0001.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Can someone tell me how to adapt a trampoline frame into a pen for 2- 9 month old Sulcata tortoises? Just want it for daytime sunning and grazing. I have a hide box for it. Will take them to the house at night. Thank you![emoji217][emoji217]View attachment 233528

Can you upload a pix of the trampoline frame so we can get a better idea? I’m thinking use the trampoline as the frame, fasten exterior 12” high boards all around the bottom perimeter. But, just a thought....

turtlelog

northeast texas
I want to use small holed chicken wire so I can watch them. I will move it to the garden area. Will not get enough sun where it is now. 20180319_095000.jpg

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Most would suggest what maro2bear has suggested in putting something solid around the base so your torts can't see out. If they are able to see out, they will want to get out. Neat idea with the trampoline base!

turtlelog

northeast texas
Welcome! Most would suggest what maro2bear has suggested in putting something solid around the base so your torts can't see out. If they are able to see out, they will want to get out. Neat idea with the trampoline base!
Thanks. When I get this figured out, I'll post pics. Maybe a solid bottom edging with wire above that so sun shines through.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! This trampoline thing seems like a cool idea.
Please give these links a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Your baby tortoises are solitary animals, and need to be separated. Pairs don’t work, because there is always a dominant and a subordinate, but you could add another to form a group. However, that’s risky, because if there ends up being more than one male, or start showing aggressive behavior, you’ll have to take away one, which leaves you with a pair, so you have to separate them all. I find it to be much less risky to just separate the two.
Please read those links :)

turtlelog

northeast texas
I will certainly read all the links, if I haven't already. Thank you. Their parents were raised together. Just like with our children, we have to see what we get and deal with what's handed to us.

turtlelog

northeast texas
Thank you. Really like that idea! Really need the screen to watch them. They are truly fascinating creatures.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

One thing I might do is flip the entire frame over, then use 2” x 12” x 6’ foot pieces of pine planks all around the perimeter. Various ways to attach. Not sure the distance between each upright, but adjust your length dimensi9ns of course. One thing though is that your guys are small and unless you have really level terrain... I can see them using their outdoor sunshine recreation time to look for a way out. Nightmare city...baby sully on the lamb. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will certainly read all the links, if I haven't already. Thank you. Their parents were raised together. Just like with our children, we have to see what we get and deal with what's handed to us.

If the parents of these tortoises were raised together as a pair, it is just luck the the poor female survived long enough to breed.

What has been handed to you is two solitary animals that don't want company. Making them live together is very stressful for both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These tortoises are too small to live outside all day. Climate and current weather don't matter. They do better when raised mostly indoors, with daily excursions in their outdoor enclosure for short periods of time. My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time for each inch of tortoise. I don't leave them outside all day until they are around 5-6 inches.

You'll have to do some serious build or welding to make a floor in that frame that will be strong enough to hold damp substrate. Why do you want to make an enclosure out of that instead of one on the ground? In the heat of summer you will lose the benefit of heat inertia with an elevated enclosure. And you'll definitely need a visual barrier all the way around at ground level.