Training your tortoise

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
It might sound funny but we have been working on training Sheldon to come out of his night box, shed, or his burrow by knocking on the wood floor or fence. When I first started doing it I thought it was a fluke when he would come out. But he consistently comes out to greet me or my husband when we knock. It doesn’t hurt that we rewarded him with treats every time he came out. The treats where things like rose of Sharon flowers or pumpkin/Zucchini blossoms. I think it has a lot to do with the vibration he feels when we knock. The reason I started doing this is he will eventually get to big for me to pick up and I want a way to get his attention and have him follow me. ??❤️

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
They can learn! Beasley comes whenever she sees me. I actually clicked trained my iguana, Carmen (now passed) to do a bunch of things. ?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Oh sweet! My redfoots are good at learning that I'm calling out that its dinner time. They also like when I'm calling their names as well. They always come out of their hides to investigate my weird human behavior. I love these guys.