Training against burrowing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Whats everybodies take on this??? My young(4in SCL) sulcata has started to burrow under a plant, the problem is the substrate is only a couple inches deep. I was thinking about making it deeper, but would prefer not to encourage it because when he is large enough to be outside he wil have a heated house for when its cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Burrowing has never been a problem at my house. I just assumed that it was because their heated houses were burrow-proof. My computer is up against the inside wall where Dudley's shed is located (on the outside). I can hear him well into the night, digging and rearranging his "burrow" but the shed has a cement floor with a heavy rubber mat over it, so he just digs and digs and doesn't go anyplace. It's their nature.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Bob is like Dudley in his shed. Bob sleeps in a sleeping wooden box in his shed. Every night he goes to bed and gets in a corner and digs and digs and pretty soon goes to sleep. But he NEVER tries to burrow outside I assume because he is happy in his yard so he just doesn't try to leave it. The digging in his sleeping box is instinct trying to arrange his sleeping burrow... I always say that if they are happy where they are they don't try to leave. The last time Bob escaped his yard he climbed 7 stairs up to my deck and over to my back door. He could have gone out to the street and left, but he went to the back door to get to me, the food goddess...See how it works? He has nevered tried to dig out...

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Ok, cool, thanks for the responses. Ill just let him continue to let him/her dig and scratch.

Very funny about the food goddess, I think livingstone feels the same way. He knows every morning to wait for his bath and then the food magicly arrives... Its like magic. Warm bath + softened mazuri + opuntia fruit = happy tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.