Traffic Noise and Chelonians

ztman223

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
So I just bought a house next to a county road. I thought it was a pretty quiet road after visiting the property a few times and being somewhat familiar with the rural neighborhood but it turns out the road is pretty busy and used by truckers and motorcyclists. It’s not always busy but between 6am and 8am and 5pm and 7pm it’s usually busy. My question is what is generally the acceptable noise level for tortoises and will this noise level be too stressful for them in general?

I’ve always rented from family and I’ve always had a very quiet rural area and the noise has been somewhat of a shock for me. I did some preliminary research but couldn’t find any useful information on what we’re general limits. The road is on the north side of me, there’s 100 feet of woods between the road and the house, and the enclosures will be on the south side of the house. There is a smaller, less traveled road to the east that I’m not worried about, just that northern road. Enclosure walls are 22” tall on the sides and front will be 48” tall towards the east road.

Any input on others that have experience living in more populated areas would be appreciated.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m confident that your torts will be fine. Our Sully is often within ear shot of all kinds of noise - lawn mower, power washer, sawing, leaf blowing & extended “buzz” of our lathe in Winter when she was inside. Never a change in mood or disposition.

Given your noise is 100 ft or more away & just background road noise…I’m sure all will be fine.

Tortoises hear differently than humans do, so all will be fine. You will probably be more impacted by the noise than your tortoise!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago not too far from Ohare airport, and in line with several flight patterns. Also have a Hospital near by too. Noise does not bother anyone. Most times the planes are so low we can't hear each other talk. The torts just look up at the planes some times but are not afraid or bothered by them.

ztman223

5 Year Member
ohio
I’m confident that your torts will be fine. Our Sully is often within ear shot of all kinds of noise - lawn mower, power washer, sawing, leaf blowing & extended “buzz” of our lathe in Winter when she was inside. Never a change in mood or disposition.

Given your noise is 100 ft or more away & just background road noise…I’m sure all will be fine.

Tortoises hear differently than humans do, so all will be fine. You will probably be more impacted by the noise than your tortoise

Tortoises hear differently than humans do, so all will be fine. You will probably be more impacted by the noise than your tortoise!
That certainly makes me feel better. I’ve been super nervous about the move. I won’t make the tortoises move until next spring after they come out of hibernation but I had this awful feeling last night when a Harley Davidson passed by and all I could think was how unpleasant the sound was for me. Mine have been exposed to saw and mower sounds too. But the repetition of traffic had me concerned long term exposure might lead to stress.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just bought a house next to a county road. I thought it was a pretty quiet road after visiting the property a few times and being somewhat familiar with the rural neighborhood but it turns out the road is pretty busy and used by truckers and motorcyclists. It’s not always busy but between 6am and 8am and 5pm and 7pm it’s usually busy. My question is what is generally the acceptable noise level for tortoises and will this noise level be too stressful for them in general?

I’ve always rented from family and I’ve always had a very quiet rural area and the noise has been somewhat of a shock for me. I did some preliminary research but couldn’t find any useful information on what we’re general limits. The road is on the north side of me, there’s 100 feet of woods between the road and the house, and the enclosures will be on the south side of the house. There is a smaller, less traveled road to the east that I’m not worried about, just that northern road. Enclosure walls are 22” tall on the sides and front will be 48” tall towards the east road.

Any input on others that have experience living in more populated areas would be appreciated.
It wouldn't be a problem even if the wall of the pen were right next to the road. 100 feet away with woods and a house between the tort pen and the road? Not an issue at all.