Track your tortoise data on TFO?

A tortoise tracker would be a great addition to this site.

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Agree

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
We are thinking about implementing a feature where members would be able to keep some basic data and photos about each one of their tortoises. The software would allow you to input your tortoise length, weight, birthdate (and some other info) and have it viewable in a graph.
Would you be interested in using such a feature? How many animals do you think you would add and track if we had this available on the site?
Use this thread for discussion or vote anonymously.

Thanks for your feedback!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Josh

That would be a very good idea! Since I only have one tort, I would only add and track my little Hermy :D.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Josh, I think that would be great, and I would enter all three of my Sulcatas. I already keep track of their growth, and I could even enter the info I have collected this past year. However, you may want to start it from the date of inception, forward. If you need some back info, let me know.

Let me take this time to thank you for the great job with the site. It is a great site.

David

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
That feature would be awesome. I would love to add and track information on my baby greeks.

As David said earlier, thank you for all your hard work with this site. If you ever need to raise funds for site upgrades, I would definately donate.

Ton

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would like to do one for each of my adopted tortoise. It would be cool to track them but also for the old owners who really loved their pets to check in on them via this application on tortoise forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Redfootedboxturtles said:
I would like to do one for each of my adopted tortoise. It would be cool to track them but also for the old owners who really loved their pets to check in on them via this application on tortoise forum.

That is an idea I had not thought about! Really a fantastic one. :)

I think it's great because of the versatility of uses, such as the one above. Would be nice to compare growth on my animals to ones that are kept outside all year long for instance or feed different diets. Or to quickly find out when I last had a worm test done on one of them. Plus if something happened to me, whomever would be the new caretaker would have a starting place to properly care for each animal.

I keep notes on paper, but some how, they seem to get lost along the way. Really wish I had the old notes from years back. Would have been especially helpful with the Bells being able to see what temps I incubated the eggs at and how long til they all hatched (and were both years the same?).

I also think it would be great with the ways laws on ownership of our animals are changing, to have the ability to show this as proof as to when I did obtain my animals or hatched them myself. Would hate to lose animals due to not being able to provide enough evidence as to how long they have been owned.

The ease of remembering to use it is nice too, since I am already in this site chatting with folks. No extra time spent opening up a new location.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep it has my vote. Great Idea simple easy and as Jacqui put it I'm already here.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That sounds like a great idea.

I am trying to do that now. I have been taking pics of my sulcata since I got him, when he was 1 week old.

I would be tracking my only sulcata. If I ever get another then I would track it also.

Keep up the great work :D

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just worry about some scurilous person finding out what you have then finding out where you are and stealing them. I know we all tell everyone on the forum that we have tortoises, but actual data worries me. What safeguards will be in place to ensure the poster's privacy?

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I just worry about some scurilous person finding out what you have then finding out where you are and stealing them. I know we all tell everyone on the forum that we have tortoises, but actual data worries me. What safeguards will be in place to ensure the poster's privacy?

Yvonne

I had the same concerns so I'd like to know more about the security/privacy solutions.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:

Yvonne

I am sure Josh could give you greater detail, but what he has said is that you can either have your information private where only you can see it or you have the public option.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I'm not excited either way, so my vote in whatever the group as a whole would decide. ~

Purpod

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I right stuff down in a booklet.. Computers crash!
ON line would be neat to compare.
as for security.. i do worry about that as well. I have only told and shown a few neighbors.. You cant see the torts from the street, but you can tell there is something different about the pen...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree with Yvonne and Laura. Security is an issue we must take seriously and I believe Josh planned on setting it up so you could print or download only your own info so you would have it in the event of a crash, or just for those who wanted it in print. I think Josh said he wanted to see how many were interested before putting lots and lots of work into it. There are still things to be worked out, things like security issues, so keep those suggestions coming.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What *I* would like to see is less of the personal data, but instead anonymous group info. I think there is a real value to seeing what the averages of a hundred keepers shows- what is the average size and weight at 6 months, at 1 year, etc.? We KNOW there is a lot of variation, but the variation PROBABLY follows a standard curve.

If each contributer followed a few basic guidelines (all measuring the same thing the same way) and completed a survey that captured basic care and diet info- we theoretically could SEE the benefits or problems associated with diet X or care plan Y.

As far as public records and privacy go- I think the smartest idea would be to give each animal an ID number that is seen by everyone, and only the owner and some web admins would know who each number applies to.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I dont see how anyone can find out where you live based on what tortoises you have. They would have to have your personal information like your full name. or phone number.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
I love it! Great idea.
I cant imagine how someone would figure out where the tortoises live unless we are required to list our address.

alice

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
im in!! i think its a brilliant idea

x

Turtleracer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
North Central Texas
Sounds like a good idea as the info would be helpful to everyone.
It seems like it would be difficult to make it anonymous though as most people have pics of their turtle/tortoise(s) throughout these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.