Torts Wanted!

Hi![TURTLE] I am looking for any unwanted tortoise in California. I am also willing to take in torts from another state and will pay for shipping as long as it's reasonable. Also willing to pay for adoption fees or even buy the tortoise if the price is reasonable. If you have ANY unwanted tortoise please contact me at any of the following

1(949)419-5092
[email protected]
[email protected]

I'll take in any tortoise from Russians, Sulcatas, Leopards, Hermanns,Greeks, Pancakes, Radiateds, Marginateds, Ect.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I like your enthusiasm, but you are brand new to the tortoise world.
For your sake, I would take it nice and slow.
Just your two baby Sulcata's Tend to end up being too much for people in a couple years.
It requires a LOT of space, separate enclosures for various species, separating sex's as needed, different diets.
It's all good, just don't overwhelm yourself, being new.
Good luck!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Kathy is 1000% right. One Russian, for a beginner is a LOT of work. Two is even more, more or less several of more than one species!
I've had tortoises for 12+ years, and I cannot handle more than two species at a time.

Haha I was asking because I have several different types of tortoises and I'm not new to reptiles as I've had bearded dragons, leopard geckos, snakes, other pets like dogs, cats, fish, rabbits, hamsters, birds, and ferrets. I currently have a Russian tortoise, 2 Sulcatas, and a Leopard tortoise and am going to get a Ball Python soon[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] So far I am doing great with all the dogs, cats, fish, torts, bearded dragons, and rabbit. I'm into animals and I do LOTS of research before I get any type of pet so I am sure I can handle another tortoise I have enough space for another enclosure[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It all comes down to when they get sick. Trust me with turtles/tortoises when one is sick all of them in that enclosure are more than likely sick. Care and space are the easiest things to provide, but when it comes down to forking out hundreds or thousands of dollars on vet bills you have to be ready at all times. So really think about it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of the tortoise people who have more than one species of tortoise have large outdoor yards for them. It isn't fair to a tortoise, that is used to wandering outside over great distances, to keep it locked up indoors in a small plastic bin.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are your talking room for another enclosure inside or outside? How about when they are all full grown, do you have the room for them then too.
We are not trying to discourage getting another tortoise. We are trying to make sure you do really understand the space they truly require, which isn't a small indoor enclosure their whole life. That's what some people think is an appropriate life long enclosure and it's not, it's cruel.

Believe me I have thought everything out[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE] and no they will each have an indoor and outdoor enclosure. During the day each species is in a separate enclosure and when I'm there they are roaming the yard freely. I have enough space for when they are fully grown I know what I will need in the future and am willing to provide any veterinary care needed. I have thought everything out and I know I can handle different species of tortoises. I always heard the true minimum size enclosure for a Russian is 4x2 but I am now working on a 6x4 tortoise table with a 2nd level for extra space. For my baby sulcatas I am currently using a zoo med tortoise house but am also working on a tortoise table for them. I'm thinking a 4.5x4.5 enclosure for then as they are still very small. For my new leopard tortoise I am using another a small table that I made into a tortoise table simply by drilling 6" walls on it. All this has been pretty expensive so far but it's all been worth it as my tortoises are happy and I am happy as well[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE] For the most part my tortoises are outdoors roaming the yard freely when I'm not working and when I am they are in a pretty large enclosure. Each species in a separate enclosure of course. I have lots of room in my backyard and I am sure I can handle having more tortoises[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Thanks for all the concern guys it means a lot but I am sure I can handle the torts and provide their needs for them[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
My Sulcata is 1.5 years old. He has started growing very rapidly at almost 1/2 lb a month. He was in a tortoise table that was 3x5 but he grew out of it. I had to build him a new table 3 months ago that is 4' x 6' with 2' walls so he has ample substrate to dig in - not to mention larger water dish, food dish, hide. He is now just over 3lbs and 6" in length and I doubt this table will last until he is in an outside enclosure full time (which I believe he should be 5 yrs old). My hat is off to you with all the torts. I rescued this little guy when he was 3.5oz. I am determined to give him a good forever home but honestly it is a huge undertaking for anyone with such a large species and it seems once they hit the 1lb mark they grow very quick. Your electric bill has to be unbelievable. :)

Yeah with several Powersun UV bulbs and night lights the electric bill is quite a bit more expensive than it was before I had the torts but I mean it's worth it[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] The tortoises will always be there with me so a few of extra bucks in the electric bill is totally worth it[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can likely understand better the concerns shared with you if you take into account that some of the folks sharing them with you have been on the receiving end of someones "plans" that did not work out...alot of folks start off with big plans and visions of grandeur only to then find out that it is alot of work for alot of years and then oh yeah, more years---lol...then those torts are relinquished to others to rescue....and alot of them are in poor health...

So, please do understand that may be the place some of the folks are coming from when they share their concerns with you...:D