Torts in culture

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I wanted to make a thread, for all things related to torts in different cultures: songs, sayings, imagery etc.

I'll start
In Afrikaans we have a rhyme
Daar loop 'n skilpad in die pad
Ek tel hom op hy maak my nat
Ek sit hom neer
Hy doen dit weer
Ek haal my pa se haelgeweer
En skiet hom middel deur!

Translation:
There walks a tort in the road
I pick him up he pees on me
I put him down
(Suggested you pick him up again)
He does it once more
I take my fathers shotgun
and shoot him through the middle!

Rather horrific for a children's rhyme but most songs are like that. It may have been a leopard tort this song has been based off, but only years later most people realise how horrific the lyrics are.
So here we go, got anything alike in your culture, feel free to post!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Not a Fairy tale as such but We've got The Tortoise and the Hare.....where the Tort is the slow & steady hero and the bunny, fast but lazy....not so much.

People get too twisted about things written in a completely different world.....they aren't horrific, they were explanatory in many, many cases.

Ring Around the Rosie is the most obvious.......it explained the Plague to children in a way their parents thought, would help them to understand.

Hansel & Gretel....Hans Christian Anderson.....now there was an interesting person and the most scary to me of them all....leaving kids in a "Forest"? Gee, that's even worse then leaving them in the Woods!

If you haven't read a Fairy tale in a while....

Here is a safe site with all the HCA and Brothers Grimm fairy tales....complete with Happy Endings....

Parents 600 years ago felt exactly the same love and fears that parents in the 20's feel today. No parents, of any age want to terrify their kids....well other than telling them "Drugs are bad" um hm. ........How come I hear Mr Garrisons voice saying that?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Yeah, what is intresting to know is that Afrikaans is the worlds youngest language, something like 300 years old? Nothing like Russian which is thousands of years old. I think that as some people migrated in the groot trek, they came accross more and more torts, and it rhymed so kids liked it. We also have songs of hanging rabbits by there ears on the washing line and all that stuff. There are a few horror, stories in Afrikaans culture, but nothing to do with torts luckily

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I wanted to make a thread, for all things related to torts in different cultures: songs, sayings, imagery etc.

I'll start
In Afrikaans we have a rhyme
Daar loop 'n skilpad in die pad
Ek tel hom op hy maak my nat
Ek sit hom neer
Hy doen dit weer
Ek haal my pa se haelgeweer
En skiet hom middel deur!

Translation:
There walks a tort in the road
I pick him up he pees on me
I put him down
(Suggested you pick him up again)
He does it once more
I take my fathers shotgun
and shoot him through the middle!

Rather horrific for a children's rhyme but most songs are like that. It may have been a leopard tort this song has been based off, but only years later most people realise how horrific the lyrics are.
So here we go, got anything alike in your culture, feel free to post!
That was dark?