Torts And Heat Waves.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. I live in Jordan, where the climate is that of a desert: very cold Winter and even SNOW, whilst Summer is extremely hot, and we are deprived Spring as well as Autumn-too bad.

The country is being effected by a HEAT WAVE, whereas temperature reaches 38 degress Celcius! (Sorry, I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit). It is VERY, VERY HOT.

My question is: does this extremely hot weather irritate torts? I remember something we learned at school: reptiles hibernate during Winter, which does not suit them. By the same token, they 'love' hot Summer days. However, I have noticed that Oli (my beloved tort), has become restless, and has somewhat lost appetite during this heat wave. Kindly note that I soak him in water TWO to THREE times a day, and I don't move from home. Oli has become restless, and is sitting in 'in his usual corner' as if upset. At the same time, his hind legs are streched, and I was told by a member that this means he is relaxed and there is nothing to worry about. But one cannot help worrying, I can assure you all.

Any advice/help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all. I live in Jordan, where the climate is that of a desert: very cold Winter and even SNOW, whilst Summer is extremely hot, and we are deprived Spring as well as Autumn-too bad.

The country is being effected by a HEAT WAVE, whereas temperature reaches 38 degress Celcius! (Sorry, I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit). It is VERY, VERY HOT.

My question is: does this extremely hot weather irritate torts? I remember something we learned at school: reptiles hibernate during Winter, which does not suit them. By the same token, they 'love' hot Summer days. However, I have noticed that Oli (my beloved tort), has become restless, and has somewhat lost appetite during this heat wave. Kindly note that I soak him in water TWO to THREE times a day, and I don't move from home. Oli has become restless, and is sitting in 'in his usual corner' as if upset. At the same time, his hind legs are streched, and I was told by a member that this means he is relaxed and there is nothing to worry about. But one cannot help worrying, I can assure you all.

Any advice/help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

That is only 100 so not too bad...however, you will want the tort to have a place to retreat to that allows him a cool off at about 26-28 c so that he can properly regulate his core temp...is he used to being outdoors and not indoors?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Common misconception. They like to b warm, but hot weather can kill quickly. I do not think they like it. As long as they can cool off they are ok with it

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That is only 100 so not too bad...however, you will want the tort to have a place to retreat to that allows him a cool off at about 26-28 c so that he can properly regulate his core temp...is he used to being outdoors and not indoors?
Thanks very much your advice as well as help.

Oli's enclosure is inside. Sorry, can't send you a pic of it as there's somthing wrong with the camera. Room temperature is 29 degrees Celcius, but it seems (at least to me) rather hot. And I don't want it to annoy Oli. Am I to understand that there's nothing to worry about?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Common misconception. They like to b warm, but hot weather can kill quickly. I do not think they like it. As long as they can cool off they are ok with it
There'll always be conflicting info; this is not MATHEMATICS where 1+1=2 and NO two persons can disagree.

What you mentioned in your post worried me before I received it; as Oli is very restless and is in sitting in 'his favourite corner.'But thank GOD, I managed to feed him a few minutes ago, and he ate relatively well, after which he returned to 'his corner.' Am trying to ignore him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Oli's enclosure is inside. Sorry, can't send you a pic of it as there's somthing wrong with the camera. Room temperature is 29 degrees Celcius, but it seems (at least to me) rather hot. And I don't want it to annoy Oli. Am I to understand that there's nothing to worry about?

Well what I am saying is that the temps should not be a problem as long as the tort can cool down....I would think soaking multiple times a day can be irritating to the tort unless he is dehydrated...may be a touch too much, does the tort have a large enough water dish in the enclosure to self soak...this way he can cool off at will. Perhaps you can offer food in the cooler morning or evening times and see if that helps with food consumption?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Can you spray him & his habitat? Not mist, more like fine rain. That will bring temps down. A sink sprayer or a watering can with a sprinkler rose at the spout would work well. Otherwise just pour water in.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well what I am saying is that the temps should not be a problem as long as the tort can cool down....I would think soaking multiple times a day can be irritating to the tort unless he is dehydrated...may be a touch too much, does the tort have a large enough water dish in the enclosure to self soak...this way he can cool off at will. Perhaps you can offer food in the cooler morning or evening times and see if that helps with food consumption?
Thanks very much you help.

Yes, Oli does have a water dish in his enclosure in case he needs it. As for his food, well, by mere chance I feed him in the morning and late afternoon. He is now in deep sleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can you spray him & his habitat? Not mist, more like fine rain. That will bring temps down. A sink sprayer or a watering can with a sprinkler rose at the spout would work well. Otherwise just pour water in.
Thanks a lot your advice. Appreciate it.

I do spray Oli and his enclosure wit water, when it is as hot as it has been lately.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Wait, do you have shaded areas in the enclosure? Soaking will not cool him off
He needs cool shaded areas so he can self regulate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We get up to 47 here in summer sometimes. 38 is a pretty normal summer day for us.

This is fine as long as they have a cooler area to retreat to. I use underground shelters outside. If your tortoise is inside at 29, it is fine.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wait, do you have shaded areas in the enclosure? Soaking will not cool him off
He needs cool shaded areas so he can self regulate.
Hi. Oh, Oli certainly does have a shaded area in his enclosure. I am doing all I can to keep him happy and comfortable.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Do you know what the temps are in the cooler areas?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do you know what the temps are in the cooler areas?
Frankly speaking I do not know. But one thing I do know: room temperature is 29 degrees Celcius, which is HOT.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Frankly speaking I do not know. But one thing I do know: room temperature is 29 degrees Celcius, which is HOT.

Is it 29C indoors day and night? Daytime, that is no problem. How much is your indoor temperature really affected by the heatwave? How different are your enclosure temps from a month ago? Six months ago?

I also don't think creating deep shade is particularly effective indoors, but I may be wrong (well, any more than just closing the drapes if your tort enclosure room has a lot of windows).

I can't imagine tortoises that live indoors full time in climate controlled rooms are particularly concerned with heat waves, but maybe I'm wrong.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Shouldn't be too concerned, Gillian, though i know you worry.
Tidgy goes through summer after summer hotter than this, and as long as she's got a corner to retreat to, that's a bit cooler and I give her regular bath's and showers as I know you do Oli, he'll be fine, just sometimes a bit stationary, especially during the hottest part of the day.
Tidgy sends kisses.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Shouldn't be too concerned, Gillian, though i know you worry.
Tidgy goes through summer after summer hotter than this, and as long as she's got a corner to retreat to, that's a bit cooler and I give her regular bath's and showers as I know you do Oli, he'll be fine, just sometimes a bit stationary, especially during the hottest part of the day.
Tidgy sends kisses.
Good evening Adam and thanks very much your help as well as your advice.

You are 100% right: I do worry and can't help worrying. The day before yesterday I took Oli for a walk at 6pm, and he really enjoyed it. I did the same yesterday at the same time and under same weather conditions, and he WOULD NOT MOVE ONE MM. I waited patiently for almost 30 minutes, after which I picked him up and returned home. Strange isn't it?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good evening Adam and thanks very much your help as well as your advice.

You are 100% right: I do worry and can't help worrying. The day before yesterday I took Oli for a walk at 6pm, and he really enjoyed it. I did the same yesterday at the same time and under same weather conditions, and he WOULD NOT MOVE ONE MM. I waited patiently for almost 30 minutes, after which I picked him up and returned home. Strange isn't it?
He just didn't want to on this occasion, tomorrow he may love it, or not.
That's tortoises!
Evening, Gillian.