Tortoises in the Refrigerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would recommend not storing them with your food.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What do the ones on the last shelf look like ? They look like sullys to me. how about the ones above the red tote?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The picture is obviously just one for PR shock value, not how they are really doing it. Somebody I would guess read an article about them doing it and misinformed just visualized this as how it looked. The tortoises would be in boxes within the frig and have bedding (like paper) around them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jacqui said:
The picture is obviously just one for PR shock value, not how they are really doing it. Somebody I would guess read an article about them doing it and misinformed just visualized this as how it looked. The tortoises would be in boxes within the frig and have bedding (like paper) around them.

I think this is real. I posted an article several months ago about a woman in England who runs a tortoise rescue facility, and this is how she brumates her tortoises; I think this photo may be from that article, although she might have had even more in there, I don't remember. I can understand someone wanting to be as efficient as possible when they have that many tortoises. However, the problem with this setup is that the tortoises are exposed, and do not have an actual artificial burrow or hibernaculum while they are in the fridge. This is bad, because they would lose moisture more easily this way, and are more likely to get dehydrated. This cuts down on how long they can brumate in there.

Actually, this photo may just be from someone trying to emulate what the British woman was doing, because I think she at least wrapped her tortoises up in moistened newspaper or towels to avoid dehydration.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
The article said the wet tea towels were removed for the picture. It still seems weird to me but I know people do it and it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.