tortoise with white eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny2012

5 Year Member
Hi,
I have a tortoise that have white eyes and looks swollen. Is this a sign of sick? Thanks
[/align]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi sunny2012 and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, your tortoise is sick.

What kind of tortoise is it? How are you taking care of it? What kind of light? What are the temperatures in the habitat? Do you provide water? Have you done a forced soak? Can we see a picture of the tortoise's habitat?

sunny2012

5 Year Member
Hi.
Thanks for the replies.
I think the topic "white around the eyes?" is related here.
I will probably giving it the same treatments.
But I have questions:
1. at what temperature should I treat it with drinking water and bath water, and also under cold weather?
2. do you treat it with cooked or raw carrot?
3. and also, do you treat it with cooked food or raw meat?
4. and tortoise seem not to eat for a long period such as during winter?
thx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sunny2012:

You've failed to tell us what kind of tortoise this is. Some tortoises hibernate (brumate) during the winter, so it would be perfectly natural for it not to eat during that time.

If the white is on the skin around the eyes, then the tortoise is just too dry. Warm water soaks of about 20 to 30 minutes each day is in order.

If the whole eye is swollen shut then there might be puss behind the eyelid. This tortoise needs to see a vet, but in the meantime you can soak in Gerber strained carrot baby food mixed half and half with warm water. If you live in a country where Gerber products are not sold, it is manufactured baby food for humans. Mashed up cooked carrots.

1. The tortoise needs a light over its habitat. 100F degrees directly under the light, fading to about 80-85 on one end and 75 or 80 on the other end of the habitat.

2. cooked and mashed to a pulp. Most tortoises don't eat meat, so we need to know what kind of tortoise you have.

3. Again, depends upon what kind of tortoise. Most vegetarian tortoises will eat uncooked veggies and greens.

4. I'm thinking your tortoise isn't warm enough.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You need to give us more info about your tort! He could be very sick and needs help. Please tell us more info!

Status
Not open for further replies.