My star tortoise eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rest7773

My star tortoise has got one eye swollen and there is white substance in it, tried flushing it out and rinsing his eyes BT still the white substance there in his eyes. Help me plzz I am getting scared. There r no good vets where is live. He is eating normally and looks healthy BT it's just the eyes that r bugging me

Details

I got 2 stars and they both live in the same enclosure. The other one is completely healthy with problem in his eyes. I give them Beans petunia hibiscus mint spider plant sparingly Nd other Veggies.

1460184359572.jpg 1460184391379.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Can. I ask what type of lamp you are using for UVB?

The reason I ask is that the compact bulbs (sometimes called coil type) frequently cause eye problems and we never recommend them.

Either a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) or Tube UV bulb are safe.

rest7773

I am not using any mvb. I am giving them ample of sunlight and using a normal 100wats incandescent bulb.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hard to tell in that picture but it looks like it's either an eye infection or that tortoise is blind from that eye.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This sounds like a mechanical injury and/or infection of some sort.

If it were mine, I would separate the two tortoises, flush the eye with some sterile saline and use some terramyacin opthalmic ointment on it a couple of times a day for a week.

There is no substitute for a good vet. Any vet should be able to assess and treat the eye. Eyeball care doesn't vary much from one species to another. Just don't let a vet with no tortoise or reptile experience give your tortoise any injections. Especially not "vitamin" injections.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to tell if it's just the swollen, closed eye or if it's an eye cap. An eye cap is hardened pus that is stuck on the eyeball. It can be softened with eye medication then flushed until it comes off, but don't try to pick it off manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.