Tortoise with College and Life

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Well... there's so many good answers here on this thread. But here is mine.There is pros and cons of getting a tortoise. The pros are if you set up properly for a small tortoise they aren't hard to take care of. Especially since they aren't actually dependent on you for emotional support 24 hours a day. They do take a bit of dedication to routines which don't take a lot of time but you have to do them. You have an heirloom and an animal that will be with you for 50 years or more with proper care. I wish I had done it sooner 😊. Now the cons... You'll have a pet to care for for 50 years or more. Now I have to live until I'm about 106 because I'm selfish. I don't want anyone to get my little Russian besides me. I waited too long. Even a little Russian needs at the least 32sq. ft for an enclosure. There's a lot to learn about keeping them safe and happy within that enclosure also and it's all a part of their set up. That takes a lot of thought, reading of other's experience and just watching them for a bit. And don't think you know what they'll do next. You have to keep learning because they do.🙃 So is it worth it to you.

Paula Hu

Southern California, Los Angeles
You'll have a pet to care for for 50 years or more. Now I have to live until I'm about 106 because I'm selfish. I don't want anyone to get my little Russian besides me.
I totally understand!!!!!!
I waited too long. Even a little Russian needs at the least 32sq. ft for an enclosure. There's a lot to learn about keeping them safe and happy within that enclosure also and it's all a part of their set up. That takes a lot of thought, reading of other's experience and just watching them for a bit. And don't think you know what they'll do next. You have to keep learning because they do.🙃 So is it worth it to you.
Thank you for your opinion! I get it, this is something I will have to go through if I will keep a tortoise.

The reason I want a tortoise is because since I am still young (14 is kinda young i guess but not really) I want a buddy that I can be with for the rest of my life since tortoises lifespan is pretty long. Other reasons are because I envy people who have pets which I don't know why.

The reasons I shouldn't have a tortoise right now is because I am in a very unstable place. I will go to college in a few years and even in latter parts of my life I cannot guarantee that I will stay in one place forever. As you said you don't want anyone you get your russian besides yourself and I TOTALLY UNDERSTANDS!!! I feel the same way!!!!! It's also my responsibility to take care of it since I am the one who wanted it. And if I have a tortoise now, what am I going to do with it when I go to college (prob live off campus) and my latter life?!! Transportation for it is also an obstacle in my opinion. And I will have to sacrifice many things to take care of it and I cannot guarantee if I can take care of it properly with all college and other stuff going on. And these days i got scared of life.....

Obviously my current status is definitely not ready for a tortoise (or any pet) and it's definitely better for me to get it when I am older and settled down.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the pros and cons!!!! It really helped back up my decision!!!! Thanks!!!!😄😄😄

Paula

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I totally understand!!!!!!

Thank you for your opinion! I get it, this is something I will have to go through if I will keep a tortoise.

The reason I want a tortoise is because since I am still young (14 is kinda young i guess but not really) I want a buddy that I can be with for the rest of my life since tortoises lifespan is pretty long. Other reasons are because I envy people who have pets which I don't know why.

The reasons I shouldn't have a tortoise right now is because I am in a very unstable place. I will go to college in a few years and even in latter parts of my life I cannot guarantee that I will stay in one place forever. As you said you don't want anyone you get your russian besides yourself and I TOTALLY UNDERSTANDS!!! I feel the same way!!!!! It's also my responsibility to take care of it since I am the one who wanted it. And if I have a tortoise now, what am I going to do with it when I go to college (prob live off campus) and my latter life?!! Transportation for it is also an obstacle in my opinion. And I will have to sacrifice many things to take care of it and I cannot guarantee if I can take care of it properly with all college and other stuff going on. And these days i got scared of life.....

Obviously my current status is definitely not ready for a tortoise (or any pet) and it's definitely better for me to get it when I am older and settled down.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the pros and cons!!!! It really helped back up my decision!!!! Thanks!!!!😄😄😄

Paula
Actually because you are thinking like you are at the age of 14 , you may very well be a perfect fit for a small tortoise. I didn't mean to discourage you completely.🤗 Before you move on to college, which is a few years away, you have plenty of time to develop your relationship and care for a tortoise. If you set them up correctly first it's not hard. Have you asked your parents about it? I as a parent would encourage it because I just think it's really good for young people to have that. Mine didn't. Some do some don't. 🤷There's a lot of young people here on the forum that are doing a great job of caring for a tortoise. It would be nice to hear from some of them here on this thread on why they are happy with their decision. Some of them have moved on to college and some are still young. I'm 68 but I don't think age matters in tortoise keeping. I respect the young people's experiences and thoughts just as much as the older people here. Tom said it best.

Paula Hu

Actually because you are thinking like you are at the age of 14 , you may very well be a perfect fit for a small tortoise. I didn't mean to discourage you completely.🤗 Before you move on to college, which is a few years away, you have plenty of time to develop your relationship and care for a tortoise. If you set them up correctly first it's not hard.
What I'm worried about is what am I going to do with it when I move on to college? Even after I am done with college? Well I can bring it with me everywhere I go but it is too risky. Everything is so scary
Have you asked your parents about it? I as a parent would encourage it because I just think it's really good for young people to have that. Mine didn't. Some do some don't. 🤷There's a lot of young people here on the forum that are doing a great job of caring for a tortoise. It would be nice to hear from some of them here on this thread on why they are happy with their decision. Some of them have moved on to college and some are still young.
My parents are not very supportive of me getting a pet at first, it's mainly because of their own experiences with it. My mom and dad both had a dog and they had a very close relationship with it and when the dog passed away, they got really sad. So they also don't want me to experience that kind of sadness so they are not really supportive. But they seem to be alright with a tortoise because the tortoise might outlive me which makes me more want to get one.
I'm 68 but I don't think age matters in tortoise keeping. I respect the young people's experiences and thoughts just as much as the older people here. Tom said it best.
I agree, age doesn't matter with tortoise keeping. There are people at different age in this forum and the goal is to keep tortoises alive and healthy. Age doesn't matter with how much care you give a tortoise, it's just how much you love your tortoise and willing to care for it.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!!!
Paula

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We met a lady last year who was given a tor
What I'm worried about is what am I going to do with it when I move on to college? Even after I am done with college? Well I can bring it with me everywhere I go but it is too risky. Everything is so scary

My parents are not very supportive of me getting a pet at first, it's mainly because of their own experiences with it. My mom and dad both had a dog and they had a very close relationship with it and when the dog passed away, they got really sad. So they also don't want me to experience that kind of sadness so they are not really supportive. But they seem to be alright with a tortoise because the tortoise might outlive me which makes me more want to get one.

I agree, age doesn't matter with tortoise keeping. There are people at different age in this forum and the goal is to keep tortoises alive and healthy. Age doesn't matter with how much care you give a tortoise, it's just how much you love your tortoise and willing to care for it.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!!!
Paula
We met an elderly lady last year who was given a tortoise for her 7th birthday, and still had it in her 80s - She lived in a retirement apartment, I think.The idea of having a little friend all your life, through thick and thin, is very appealing - but of course you have to take the commitment really seriously. Our Zola, who is nearly 22, is the most important person in the family,(-my husband and myself,) and has been a great comfort in bad times.And we don't have the constant anxiety of him passing away any time soon.
I wish you all the best, whatever you decide
Angie
p. s.I would recommend a Hermanns tortoise, rather than a Russian - they are very similar, but Russians are more determined to escape, and unbelievably good at it !!

Paula Hu

We met an elderly lady last year who was given a tortoise for her 7th birthday, and still had it in her 80s - She lived in a retirement apartment, I think.The idea of having a little friend all your life, through thick and thin, is very appealing - but of course you have to take the commitment really seriously. Our Zola, who is nearly 22, is the most important person in the family,(-my husband and myself,) and has been a great comfort in bad times.And we don't have the constant anxiety of him passing away any time soon.
Angie
p. s.I would recommend a Hermanns tortoise, rather than a Russian - they are very similar, but Russians are more determined to escape, and unbelievably good at it !!
Thank youuu!!! Ohh I will look into Hermanns!!!
Pets really can be your mental support and having a little buddy is super niceeee!!
Your experience is super helpful and I would definitely take in your advice!!
Thanksss!!

Paula

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Angie
Yes you have to watch a bit with a Russian.😊 I've sat and watched a few hours because I don't mind sitting and watching the little critter in his escapees. It doesn't really have to do with escaping. He's really just walking around and if he comes to an obstacle in his nosiness he just figures out a way to do it anyway 🤔. Sometimes it means he'll walk up a wall. Just don't provide a way to do that 🙃

Paula Hu

Yes you have to watch a bit with a Russian.😊 I've sat and watched a few hours because I don't mind sitting and watching the little critter in his escapees. It doesn't really have to do with escaping. He's really just walking around and if he comes to an obstacle in his nosiness he just figures out a way to do it anyway 🤔. Sometimes it means he'll walk up a wall. Just don't provide a way to do that 🙃
okk!! Learned new stuff today!! Thanks!