Tortoise Weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardena, Ca.
My 2 Greeks are the same age, 2 y.o., unsure of their sex, but I believe that they are females. Anyway, Morty has always been larger and heavier than Torty. In June, Torty caught up with Morty in weight, around 200 gr.. Now, in Sept. Morty is at 280 gr. and Torty is at 210 gr. Morty is a more aggressive eater. Torty is alert, active and show no signs of illness. B.M. and urine seems normal, but much less volume than Morty. My concerns are: is Morty growing too fast; Torty growing too slow; or is it just the case of different torts has it's own rate of growth. Again, from my observations, there doesn't appear to be any health issues. I may consider a look see from a vet.
Thanks All!
John

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm no greek expert, but this is pretty normal when raising a pair of torts. Each will have growth spurts, but usually one will always be a little bigger and more assertive. The big one tends to get the "Lions" share of the food, as appears to be the case in your enclosure.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
Tom said:
I'm no greek expert, but this is pretty normal when raising a pair of torts. Each will have growth spurts, but usually one will always be a little bigger and more assertive. The big one tends to get the "Lions" share of the food, as appears to be the case in your enclosure.

In your opinion, should Torty be in a seperate pen? I know that generally they are solitary animals. After living happily together as yearlings, I wonder if, due to age, the dominance factor is taking over?

Status
Not open for further replies.