tortoise water dish

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
hi. i am in need of a water dish for my nine month old greek that can stay in his enclosure. I have a large one but that will take up too much space so i use it for soaks. I have heard of using plant pot trays that are clay or ceramic but i don't have any that are of optimal size. So, could i have some ideas for other things? any replies would be great.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anything that will hold water really will work. Just make sure it has low enough sides for him to get in and out easily. I would also not use something too slippery. Maybe a pie plate with a couple rocks in it for pushing off of to help him get out. A plastic container, you can cut down the sides. They also have the plant saucers in every size you could want.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm shocked you can't find the terra cotta saucers in the size you need. I've seen them from the small size of a quarter on up. I have one that is roughly a 2" diameter. I used it for a hatchlings food dish.

Like Wellington said, anything low sided with traction will work.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
With the plant saucers, you may need to check different places to find the size you need. Not just places like WalMart, Lowes/Menards/Home Depot, but actual garden centers and plant stores. Perhaps some sort of plate or saucer might work. Could check what used stores/Salvation Army have in their dishware sections. A lid off of a jar or plastic container?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Lowes has them in increments from 2" to 16". I use the 4" ones for hatchling sulcatas of 35-40 grams. I also used the 4" ones for my 22 gram russian hatchlings. I would think this would be a fine size for a 9 month old Greek. You might need the 6" saucer depending on his current size. How many grams is your tortoise?

Perhaps another way to look at is: What size is your enclosure? Perhaps its time for something bigger.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, Caloways (might be Texas only but any plant nursery really).... I have seen these from an inch to 24 inches and anywhere from $0.25 to $19.99. They come glazed and unglazed. I prefer the unglazed because they can grip it better and it files their claws and beaks. My Leos always bite on the side of theirs. You can also do a search on you tube on how to make a tortoise water dish. Guy does it with cement and they are really awesome and practicle once they are made! Good luck!

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I bought a large water dish with a ramp for my Tort, and it is very large, to big for enclosure, ( I think when I bought him the sales clerk just wanted to make a sale, plus maybe didnt realize that I would be soaking and spoiling him like I do) , so I too am looking for a better dish (like you mentioned) I soak tort regularly in a separate soaking basin, but a water dish in enclosure would be for drinking only... I did see at walmart a few terra cotta dishes that sound perfect.. good luck finding the perfect water dish ...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
smylemaker said:
I bought a large water dish with a ramp for my Tort, and it is very large, to big for enclosure, ( I think when I bought him the sales clerk just wanted to make a sale, plus maybe didnt realize that I would be soaking and spoiling him like I do) ,

I know some folks have nothing good to say about that style of water dish, but if you have the room, the right age/size of tortoise, and set them up right, they can be wonderful. Too pricey for me, but I do have the one.

I just think for a small to medium tortoise, nothing beats the terra cotta plant water saucers.

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
plus I believe someone said the terra cotta dishes help with nails ? I need to get one soon

edwardbo

5 Year Member
hello, try looking at take out containers ,thai food some times comes in low black containers with a transparent top that works well.the edges are smooth but ridged allowing traction,right now my red and yellow foot are useing a beautiful blue frisbee ,they love it. and my black mointains / grandis are using the container from swiffer sweepers . get creative.