Any problem with him or commom

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

One of the most common reasons for a tort trying for a getaway is that his enclosure is too small. What does it measure, and how long has he been in it?

Another common reason is because he has learned that there's a wonderful place outside his enclosure to explore and play in. Have you been letting him out and running around on the floor?

Maybe try putting some interesting decor in the enclosure. Plants, logs, rocks, substrate hills and valleys are all good.

Oreo Mario

America
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

One of the most common reasons for a tort trying for a getaway is that his enclosure is too small. What does it measure, and how long has he been in it?

Another common reason is because he has learned that there's a wonderful place outside his enclosure to explore and play in. Have you been letting him out and running around on the floor?

Maybe try putting some interesting decor in the enclosure. Plants, logs, rocks, substrate hills and valleys are all good.
Thanks,
Yes sometimes i do let him go out and running around the floor
He loves going outside and play
And about decor i love doing that but i am confused should i put a substrate or sand
Please suggest me decor for his enclosure too

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Never use sand.
Never use moss.
Never use "bought in a bag" soil.

So, what you do use is 1 of 3 substrates. Either fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), or cypress mulch, or coco coir or chips.

What species of tortoise are we talking about, and is he a baby or adult?

Personally, I like the fine grain orchid bark. You can find it in pet stores under the name 'Reptibark'. It's more expensive at pet stores, so you can try garden centers and nurseries. If you would put in your profile what state of America you are in, we could maybe be more helpful. You want around 3-4 inches of substrate, or even a little more.

For decor, what kind of enclosure is he in? Could you post a few pictures of him and his home? You want to leave some open walking space, but as I said in the other post, a branch, rocks, a plant, make a hill and valley with the substrate...any of these are good.

Oreo Mario

America
Never use sand.
Never use moss.

So, what you do use is 1 of 3 substrates. Either fine grade orchid bark (fir bark), or cypress mulch, or coco coir or chips.

Personally, I like the fine grain orchid bark. You can find it in pet stores under the name 'Reptibark'. It's more expensive at pet stores, so you can try garden centers and nurseries. If you would put in your profile what state of America you are in, we could maybe be more helpful. You want around 3-4 inches of substrate, or even a little more.

For decor, what kind of enclosure is he in? Could you post a few pictures of him and his home? You want to leave some open walking space, but as I said in the other post, a branch, rocks, a plant, make a hill and valley with the substrate...any of these are good.
Thank you for reply
From now onwards I will never use sand
Actually availaibility here is coco coir
And he is babystar tortoises
I have even post the photo of his enclosure
Do see.......
And please reply

Attachments

• IMG20210208084333.jpg
    IMG20210208084333.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG20210208084322.jpg
    IMG20210208084322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG20210208084313.jpg
    IMG20210208084313.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG20210208084258.jpg
    IMG20210208084258.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG20210208084250.jpg
    IMG20210208084250.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Never use sand.
Never use moss.

I buy my orchid bark,fine from Amazon

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for reply
From now onwards I will never use sand
Actually availaibility here is coco coir
And he is babystar tortoises
I have even post the photo of his enclosure
Do see.......
And please reply

That's a nice enclosure. However, there are some things to change.

First, it is not good to have 2 torts together. As babies they won't actually fight, but one will be a bully to the other. They need to each have its own enclosure.

That water dish looks too high and steep on the sides for them to be able to climb in and out. Get a terra cotta flower pot saucer and push it down into the substrate so the edge is even with the substrate. That will be easy for them to get into and out of.

The enclosure is too small. It will be better when you separate them, but you will need a bigger one soon. Maybe you could make this one bigger by cutting off the end and adding another section to it. That would be really nice. Then build another one for the other tort! :) ??

You could just put a couple flat rocks in there for them to climb on. Most torts enjoy climbing on stuff.

Do they use the ramp to go up and down?

I have a star tortoise too! He's going to be 3 years old in a couple months.

Oreo Mario

America
That's a nice enclosure. However, there are some things to change.

First, it is not good to have 2 torts together. As babies they won't actually fight, but one will be a bully to the other. They need to each have its own enclosure.

That water dish looks too high and steep on the sides for them to be able to climb in and out. Get a terra cotta flower pot saucer and push it down into the substrate so the edge is even with the substrate. That will be easy for them to get into and out of.

The enclosure is too small. It will be better when you separate them, but you will need a bigger one soon. Maybe you could make this one bigger by cutting off the end and adding another section to it. That would be really nice. Then build another one for the other tort! :) ??

You could just put a couple flat rocks in there for them to climb on. Most torts enjoy climbing on stuff.

Do they use the ramp to go up and down?

I have a star tortoise too! He's going to be 3 years old in a couple months.
Thank you
It really helped me
Yes they climb by themselves and go up and down
And once again thank you
Oreo and Mario