Tortoise Table

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
This is my first time building a tortoise table. This one will most likely be temporary, I have plans to go bigger and to build a two level habitat ( One enclosure on top one on the bottom not one habitat with two levels)

This enclosure is roughly 2 1/2 ft x 6ft. I know its not pretty, I am still new and wanted to keep it simple. ( he does have bulbs they just aren't on in the pictures. )

I am also working on an outdoor pen But I will post more about that later.

This pen is for my Russian Tortoise, he is a 5" adult male.

IMG_3236_zps8eg7lqhy.jpg

Already Basking his first day in the new home

IMG_3240_zpsrvs0be5y.jpg

This is how he tucks himself in for bed at night :)

IMG_3318_zpsrkclx7el.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
How deep is the substrate? And how tall are the walls? He needs a hide to go into at night or at least some deep substrate to burrow into. Russians love to be hidden at night time. They feel exposed and insecure if they don't have a place to hide. Don't worry about it not being pretty, my enclosures are always functional but not always pretty. The enclosure does need to have everything a tortoise needs however like hides, your place to eat and drink, correct lighting in humidity etc. Check out the enclosure section for some ideas.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
He has two hides, a water dish and a food plate :)

He chooses to nap in the corner like that, he just likes to.

Substrate is only 3" ... I was going for 6 but didn't buy enough substrate.

He has everything he needs in his enclosure :) I have a temp gun to check basking temps as well as cool end temps. I do need to pick up a hygrometer but he has everything else he needs.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That works then. Just pile up more substrate when you get it in that corner and he'll be happy. Sometimes Russians go out of their way to not sleep where you want them to. Bill dig beside the hide or clear on the other end of the enclosure etc. I think they just like to mess with you. You could always move the hide to that corner.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
He doesn't pick just one corner lol, he chooses different ones. I think he chose this one tonight because he was enjoying his basking light.

He hasn't really shown any interest in digging. Maybe a very small pit in the corners but not much overall.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
Well that table didn't last long ... within a month he was pulling off tiles. So its back to the drawing board

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Well that table didn't last long ... within a month he was pulling off tiles. So its back to the drawing board
I like drawing board.......It is good to build, based on your pervious experiences. Good lucky and have fun. keep us updated. We are looking forward to see your new set-up.

Elliriyanna

5 Year Member
We are taking a very different approach this time. this one should be Finnegan proof.