tortoise table idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L0CPPM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm thinking laying this down so the doors would open up. That would make it 6' x almost 3' x 2' tall. I'm keeping redfoots and might be moving in the next year or two so I don't want anything heavy that would be impossible to move. This seems like it would be light weight, hold humidity well, look half decent, and would come apart if needed. I would probably need to use some sort of silicone on the joints or a plastic liner.

I'm keeping my little guys in a 4' x 2' enclosure now, but they are all under 3". I'm thinking this would make a good intermediate home for the juvenile years, then I'll build a 8' x 4' when the time comes. I could still clean this and use it for what it's intended for when I'm done with it.

Anyone ever see this done before or try it themselves? I tried searching rubbermaid but it came up with like 19 pages of threads.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like a great idea. I would just line it with plastic so you won't have to dig the silicone sealer out to use it later.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
Well as long as someone doesn't chime in with "Don't buy this thing. It's a flimsy piece of junk.", then this is what I'm going to use. I'm still waiting another 5 or 6 months though. I think my lil guys will be ok in their current cage until then. Plus the current enclosure will be easier to keep the heat up during the cold PA winter months. In the meantime I'll start getting my CHE, uvb fluorescent light, and light fixtures together.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Can't imagine why that wouldn't work. The size is great. I like the idea of a plastic or pond or shower pan liner, which could be changed out as needed.

Would you remove the doors and cover part with plexiglass or something similar? Or one door?

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I was thinking I would remove the doors, or at least one. Then get some of that cheap, thin plexi glass at Lowes and cover the rest except where the CHE is. I'll have to wait till I get it and see exactly what I'm working with.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My husband and I bought what looks like the next size bigger of this very shed. The parts snap together but not very tightly at all. Part of ours was slightly warped and didn't fit quite right, but that was ok because we were using it for an outdoor garden shed. After just 2 or 3 years a thunderstorm with strong winds knocked it askew and we threw it away. We were not impressed. I would recommend, if at all possible, you go to Home Depot or wherever they have them and look at models they've already assembled snd sed what you tjink. think you'd have to glue this together or drill holes for bolts and nuts for it to hold together well.

Status
Not open for further replies.