Tortoise shopping-list

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Hi everyone! I've been thrilled with the responses from my old thread, please do keep them coming! I thought that this was slightly too off-topic for that thread, though, so I made this one.

My question is: What do I need for a Hermann's tortoise? (Junior) Please be as detailed as possible.

We're planning on building our own tortoise table. I pretty much know what I'm getting, I'm just stumped as to what UV light and basking lamp is best. I've heard the strip UVs are best. Would that be accurate? And of course, I know: absolutely NO spiral bulbs!

Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) which supplies heat, light and UVB in one, the I use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat for night heating, as torts need darkness to sleep properly.
You can use a strip light, but then you would probably need a basking light as well.
A piece of slate for eating off is useful, as it helps keep the tortoises' beak trimmed also.
Shallow, terracotta plant saucers are good for sinking in to the substrate, big enough for the tort to soak in as well as drink.
Substrate should be coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch, everyone has their own favourite, but good quality herbicide free top soil is possible or even sand free yard dirt, if you know it's safe.
A humid hide, made from an old plant pot is necessary and some fill it with sphagnum moss.
Cuttlefish bone is always good.
I like spider plants to provide interest, cover and a nibble.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I understand digital ones are better than the analog/ dial ones.
I only use the one and move it about, but others may have a different system.

haylee345

Durham, North Carolina
MVBs are expensive and have to be replaced every six months or so, so I decided to use a strip light/heat lamp combo. ZooMed Reptisun T8 is good. I figure I can change it out every fall so it's at max strength in the winter when it's too cold to let my tortoise get natural rays. A GE fluorescent plug in light fixture is the cheapest and easiest option, but it only works with the T8 bulbs.

For heat, I chose the ZooMed Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter because it's strong, lasts a long time, and can be kept on 24/7. I may add a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp if the area under the Infrared isn't at least 90 degrees. I bought Fluker's Clamp Lamp with Dimmer to hold either bulb but it's best if the bulbs are suspended overhead rather than at an angle.

The wattage, size, and ratings depend on the size of your enclosure and how far the bulb is suspended from the tortoise. ZooMed has a couple charts that are good. Set it up before you put your tortoise in and check temperatures with a laser gun. This one is like ten bucks on Amazon.
Leegoal(TM) Non-contact Digital Infrared IR Thermometer Temperature Gun(Orange).

I'll also get a couple digital thermometers/hydrogometers to put in my enclosure so I can glance in and make sure everything is ok. One on the hot side, one on the cold side. ZooMed and Exoterra offer good ones. A Plug In Grounded timer is a good idea so your enclosure basically runs itself. This one is also about ten bucks on amazon.
Hydrofarm TM01715D 7-Day Digital Program Timer.

I hope I got all this right... I've been researching forever and haven't even gotten my tortoise yet.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Mercury vapor bulbs do not have to be replaced every six months. If you have a UV index meter you can check it, but I have heard reports that some of them last much much longer. To be safe replace it once a year. The strip lights may not last a year however. To be absolutely safe I would replace them every six months. However if you tortoise gets a good amount of sunlight in the spring and summer etc. then you can replace your bulbs once a year and you will be fine.
You also have to determine how far away from your tortoise the bulbs are going to be to make sure that they are effective.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California