Tortoise shell

Raquel1978

Location (City and/or State)
Swansea wales
I have checked forums but can't really find anything that will help me.

My little one has all the correct lighting and uvb (I got all the info from here) the correct substrate and she has a good diet and eats and poops well so I have no worrys about any of that. She also enjoys her cuttle fish.

When I see other tortoises same breed (Herman's) and a similar age (9 Months) I have noticed their shells seem to be more dome shaped where as my little ones shell is more wider than dome shape.

Is this something that will correct itself or is their something she's lacking and I have missed?.. I've posted a picture hope it works 😂..

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_105345.jpg
    IMG_20240507_105345.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe its the subspecies that may have some domed and some flatter. Nothing to worry about
However, your tortoises has a lot of pyramiding. This is due to lack of Humidity and/or using a mercury vapor bulb or halogen bulb. Hatchlings up to about 2-3 years needs 80% humidity, adults, 50%

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
I believe its the subspecies that may have some domed and some flatter. Nothing to worry about
However, your tortoises has a lot of pyramiding. This is due to lack of Humidity and/or using a mercury vapor bulb or halogen bulb. Hatchlings up to about 2-3 years needs 80% humidity, adults, 50%
Thanks for the reply, I believe the pyramiding was caused by the incorrect set up I had at start but I use a greenhouse now and have the right bulbs so hopefully it won't get any worse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA