Tortoise shell

TheSulcata

Hey guys, just wondering, when should a sulcatas she'll be completely hard and not soft and leathery?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's usually pretty firm at about a year. Until then the plastron has a bit of give to it, but it's not really soft.

I bring my whole plastic tub habitat out during the summer of the baby's first year - out in the morning, back indoors at night. I keep this up until he's big enough to live in the yard. That depends upon the species. A baby sulcata might be big enough at 2 while a baby Texas tortoise is still in the house in a tub at 4, going out in the a.m. and back in at night.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The shell on a baby sulcata will normally feel hard and loose that "leathery"/pliable feel in just a few months. Certainly by 5-6 months. As Yvonne says, by a year it should be very firm and hard.

I do not transition mine to full time outside until they are about 8", 3-4 lbs. That would be their second year. But a lot will depend upon where you are located, you local weather, and how you have their enclosure and night box set up.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And how big should it be before it goes outside permanently

Greetings. Being outside permanently depends primarily on three major factors. 1) age/size and 2) location as well as 3) what kind of enclosure and house you have created.

If you have a one year old sully that weighs 5 lbs and live in Michigan....right now he better be inside. If you have a three year old, 35 lb sully and live in St. Augustine Florida, he better be outside.

Hope that helps! Send some pix of your guy.