tortoise shell problem. please help.

tsantos04

hello i have a question about my sulcatas shell. it has these white lines that go along the whole lining on the top of his shell. it does not look normal and i am worried that it might be harmful to my pet. i have done some research and the only thing i could find is that it could be growth lines, but all the pictures i seen of growth lines were no where as severe as the ones my pet has. please help. thanks20140908_132621.jpg20140908_132626.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
They are indeed growth lines. The "flaky", "crusty" look is probably because he is too dry. Perhaps the growth lines that you are comparing yours to are from sulcata that are being kept in a more humid environment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is indeed where the new growth occurs, however, these growth lines are showing signs of something not quite right. The new growth is quite tender and sensitive. He could probably use a bit of shell cream. I like to use olive oil. Take a Q-tip and dip it in olive oil, then paint only the new growth lines. Give it a chance to soak in a bit, then polish off the excess with a clean, absorbent cloth.

Adding more moisture to the tortoise's environment, like Joe has suggested, is also a good idea.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I 3rd that opinion. New growth and too dry. Olive oil.... Good to know

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Have you seen any of Tom's night boxes? There are several threads on how to build them. Provide a warm Humid place for night anyway would help.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Build a underground burrow for him. Tom have some very good threat of that too.