Lines on tortoise shell.

jwalker2805

Location (City and/or State)
Falkirk
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help. My sons tortoise has some lines across it's shell and I was wondering if anyone knew what they were?

The tortoise is young so it is growing but I don't know if these lines are good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

Attachments

• 20210329_163934.jpg
    20210329_163934.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
He looks very dry. Hopefully an expert will help you. Do you soak him in warm shallow water

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. “Squiggly” lines on the scutes of torts is normal. “Lines” between scutes is normal As well. Your substrate looks way too dry, and u are using that substrate with perlite in.....a no no. This encourages your tort to go around eating substrate. It’s best to swap that substrate out with orchid bark or coco coir. Regardless what you use it needs to much more moist. Plus a daily soak for your tort too, if you aren’t doing that.

jwalker2805

Falkirk
Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

How can you tell it's pyramiding? I don't want that so is it the humidity that will help with stopping that?

She doesn't like the calcium bone thing I got so I am adding calcium to her food.

What's the best way to raise the humidity?

I have repti bark by a company called med zoo but I wasn't to keen on it as it seemed to big for her initially. I will change out the substrate though.

She is currently soaking away in a bath at the moment!

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

How can you tell it's pyramiding? I don't want that so is it the humidity that will help with stopping that?

She doesn't like the calcium bone thing I got so I am adding calcium to her food.

I have repti bark by a company called med zoo but I wasn't to keen on it as it seemed to big for her initially. I will change out the substrate though.

The lines are normal growth. When they grow in an environment that is too dry, it causes them to pyramid.

The Repti-bark is the correct substrate. Its the pets-at-home stuff with the sand, soil and limestone bits that is not good.

This baby needs to be soaked daily for a good month or more.

Read the care sheet that Yossarian linked for you. That will get you back on track, and all your questions are welcome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey,

Thanks for your replies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry posted the above before I'd added a reply and too late to edit.

Just to answer a few of your questions -
If the shell looks dry and bumpy then it's starting to pyramid.
Humidity will help, so soaking, plus using a substrate you can moisten -(not soaking wet ), will help.
Make sure your temps are correct because
humidity + correct temps = healthy tort
but too cold + humidity = sick tort
Coco coir with a layer of orchid bark on top to stop it getting too messy is a popular choice.
The coir is sold in blocks (The Range or Pets at Home and independent pet shops) which you soak to expand them ( I use boiling water to kill off any little bugs that may be in it , some people bake it in an oven to do this ). P a H sells orchid bark but I'm not sure if it's the fine grade which is recommended.
A covered enclosure will also help you control the temps and humidity.
Some people use foggers but if a tort inhales the water droplets in the air it could cause a RI so misting the substrate would be less risky.

Be careful not to overdue the calcium just a pinch a couple of times a week should do along with a good diet - thankfully the weeds are coming back!

jwalker2805

Falkirk
Again, thanks for the replies.

I've been working away doing different things to raise the humidity of the table. I got a digital humidity and temp reader and made a humidity hide away for the tortoise. The humidity in there is brilliant however he has never really been one to go into hides. We have had one in his table since we have had him but he never bothered with it and he isn't going into the one I've just made. He is actually quite a sociable tortoise and always climbs up on your hand when you put it in the table!

So not sure what to do now. I will go and get some coconut fibre and try that as well. Maybe try that in the area where he sleeps as that is the only enclosed bit of the table that he uses.

Does the table always need to be at the correct humidity or can it be just part of the table? Does the tortoise always need to be in an environment that is humid or can it go between areas of humidity?

Thanks again,

Jim.