Tortoise shell fungus

vlonethug

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Ana , CA
I had recently made a post of my tortoise shell and someone said it was fungus . I bought this ointment from the store and was wondering if it was going to be safe and effective before using it . Can anyone give me advice please @Tom

Attachments

• A1079A02-1034-4E00-B57F-8141709B5EB9.jpeg
    A1079A02-1034-4E00-B57F-8141709B5EB9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 25

zovick

10 Year Member!
I had recently made a post of my tortoise shell and someone said it was fungus . I bought this ointment from the store and was wondering if it was going to be safe and effective before using it . Can anyone give me advice please @Tom
Yes, that is the stuff. Put it on the affected areas daily for about a week and it should kill the fungus. If the fungus comes back, you may need to re-treat the tortoise every so often. Since redfoots like it rather damp, they are somewhat prone to getting lesions like those your tortoise has now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The area will look almost the same as it heals. So you can't tell if the fungus is active or not by just looking at it.
Active fungus makes the affected area semi soft. Like a pencil eraser.
You can check with a fingernail. If the area hardens. The fungus is dead.
The damage will remain visible for a very long time. But it's just superficial when you catch it and treat it as early as you have.