Tortoise Seed Mix, Ok or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Is this stuff Good/Ok for Leopard Tortoise?

http://www.sulcatafood.com/#seed

Doesn't really specify all the grasses or specifically it's ok for Leopards. But it does say for Sulcata's which diet is close to that of a Leopard. Also says "other" land tortoises.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you post exactly what is in it (ask if needed or find another seller) we can tell you. Most stuff for a Sulcata should be ok for a Leopard (offhand I can't think of anything that isn't). That said I don't ever buy anything for my family, tort included, without knowing the exact ingredients. Pet peeve of mine!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
If you post exactly what is in it (ask if needed or find another seller) we can tell you. Most stuff for a Sulcata should be ok for a Leopard (offhand I can't think of anything that isn't). That said I don't ever buy anything for my family, tort included, without knowing the exact ingredients. Pet peeve of mine!

Ya, i'll have to call/e-mail to find out.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
The website I first linked may not be there anymore. No contact info etc.

Found this website that lists these but says "and more!" Can only buy 1 lb bags and the shipping costs almost as much as the 10$ bag (19$ total for it). A bit high. Still going to look around.

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...id=179&zenid=d813c6b0fa076cc37f7709c08d6000b8

Crimson Clover
New Zealand Clover
Creeping Red Fescue
Dwarf Turf-Type Fescue
Tough Turf-Type Fescue
Kentucy Blue Grass
Orchard Grass
Wheat Grass
Oat Grass
Chia
Chicory
Timothy Grass

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Seiryu, I know you can get most of the grass seed, dwarf fescue, tough fescue, kentucy blugrass at places like lowes or home depot. then order the others by themselves I have had success with seeds on ebay. Cheaper and the shipping is not as much. Just be careful that you are not purchasing form our of the country as it could get confiscated.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Seiryu, I know you can get most of the grass seed, dwarf fescue, tough fescue, kentucy blugrass at places like lowes or home depot. then order the others by themselves I have had success with seeds on ebay. Cheaper and the shipping is not as much. Just be careful that you are not purchasing form our of the country as it could get confiscated.

Thanks I will have to check them out. Are all these grasses ok? If not which are bad?

Darnel Rye Grass
Crimson Clover
New Zealand Clover
Creeping Red Fescue
Dwarf Turf-Type Fescue
Tough Turf-Type Fescue
Kentucky Blue Grass
Orchard Grass
Wheat Grass
Oat Grass
Chia
Chicory
Timothy Grass
Crab Grass (From my yard, no chemicles/pesticides)
Quack Grass (From my yard, no chemicles/pesticides)

I won't use all of the ones listed above, but am probably looking at (These i can get nearby not shipped):

Crab Grass (Yard)
Quack Grass (Yard)
Fescue Grasses
Kentucky Bluegrass
Darnel Rye Grass

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I believe so, but I'd like to get another opinion as I did not look all those up...sorry a little busy tonight.

You just would want to watch out that nothing is too high in protein (like alfafa), or something that could be toxic (rare for a tort seed product but you never know; you also always take a little risk that something could be mixed in that even the seller does not know about).

I would try to buy local if you can if you are going to end up spending a fortune. I believe if seeds are stored in a cool dry place they can last for years anyways? I ended up spending about $20 on seeds, trays, and potting soil. Definitely haven't gotten $20 worth of produce yet. It's nice for the variety but not exactly a good deal for me. Much better with a yard and the soil and area already there!

I also totally trust Carolina Pet Supply so if it is on there I would say yes too. :)

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Be very careful when buying seeds for sure.
I bought some frost seed for the horse pasture, and thought I'd
be able to use it for tortoises but
and upon reading the tag on the bag it mentioned that there was something added
other than just seeds.
Can't remember exactly what the wording was
but I definitely wouldn't have used it to grow tortoise
food.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
I believe so, but I'd like to get another opinion as I did not look all those up...sorry a little busy tonight.

You just would want to watch out that nothing is too high in protein (like alfafa), or something that could be toxic (rare for a tort seed product but you never know; you also always take a little risk that something could be mixed in that even the seller does not know about).

I would try to buy local if you can if you are going to end up spending a fortune. I believe if seeds are stored in a cool dry place they can last for years anyways? I ended up spending about $20 on seeds, trays, and potting soil. Definitely haven't gotten $20 worth of produce yet. It's nice for the variety but not exactly a good deal for me. Much better with a yard and the soil and area already there!

I also totally trust Carolina Pet Supply so if it is on there I would say yes too. :)

Ya, i think the grasses I listed are ok. But it said "and more" and i'm not sure what it'd be. However, Leopards are grazing tortoise which is what their mix is called. So it seems those are all ok.

So you bought seeds, and they just havn't grown or what tortoise? Or your yard just can't handle them? I doubt i'm buying online. Found a feed shop nearby that has Rye, Bluegrass and Fescues. 3$ / pound and I don't have to buy a pound of each. I can mix and stuff. Way cheaper than carolinas (The shipping kills lol)

Ya, I know alfalfa is bad. But I don't think i've actually read of any grasses being too bad except that. Even alfalfa once in a while isn't bad.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Seiryu, here is a list of foods, Grasses, landscaping that is good for Lepords. Hope this helps.
also you want to make sure the grass seed does not have that encapsilated (sp?) stuff on it, its actually a chemical that helps it grow.
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

Crazy - Does the encapsilated stuff on the seed go away over time like fertilizers? I'm getting a little one and I have no plans to let him outside except in a mini box i'm going to make (like 1.5x1.5 feet) until he is a bit bigger.

So the plants/grasses/weeds wont be touched for months after I plant them.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Great info here!

Yes a little alfafa would be ok, but with a grazing tort and seeds you couldn't control how much. They could go straight for it and have it be all they eat for example, but of course that is an extreme. I've heard weird things like you have a few torts int he enclosure, feed the same mix to all of them, but one tort eats all of one thing and one eats the rest of it so the tort eating all of the "treat" food isn't doing as well. Stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.