Tortoise safe weeds

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, these weeds are growing in my Marginated tortoise pen are they safe for him to eat? 20180805_115812.jpeg20180805_115802.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You could try to match them on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to see if they are safe or not.
It's easier if you have names to go on but sometimes we just have to use the pics.
Hopefully someone will know what they are.
If it's not in the weed secion, try the garde plants and trees and shrubs sections.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Well...it’s a clover of some kind, a sweet clover I think. Are you starting to see anything that looks like flowers? They are long sprays of very tiny white or yellow flowers.

Opinions vary widely on this plant. The Tortoise Table says absolutely do not feed but their examples don’t seem very tortoise applicable to me. I offer it and I know others do too but if you aren’t comfortable with it, of course pull them out.

That said, my Russian isn’t a big fan. Is your tortoise showing any interest?

daniellenc

Maryland
Looks like wood sorrel. I have allowed mine to eat it in moderation from time to time but do pull it from his pen since it’s so high in oxalic acid which forms stones.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Looks like wood sorrel. I have allowed mine to eat it in moderation from time to time but do pull it from his pen since it’s so high in oxalic acid which forms stones.

I don’t think it is. Wood sorrel has a beautiful round set of three clover leaves; while sweet clover leaves are longer and don’t really touch each other. Either way, I think small amounts are fine as part of a varied diet.

Wood sorrel:

1780E99C-D66C-444C-BA01-C0F842508872.jpeg

Sweet clover:

260E72D2-303A-4209-8A7E-B804FA605867.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, these weeds are growing in my Marginated tortoise pen are they safe for him to eat? View attachment 247310View attachment 247311
That might be black medic. When it grew in my horse pasture the horses ate around it, not eating it. "They" say it's safe for tortosies to eat, but I'll bet they won't eat it either. But black medic usually has little ball-like flowers almost right away, and your picture doesn't show any flowers. So?????

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My motto for weeds is 'if in doubt, pull it out'
I'm a better safe than sorry person.

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
It looks very much like sweet clover yo me. I've just read on the tortoise table website that sweet clover is very bad so now pulling it out. Thanks all for help