Tortoise Rescue

Nicole M

5 Year Member
So happy you took in this precious tort, and to see how committed you are to helping him recovery after so much mistreatment. It'll be a long process, but we're here to support you through his recovery. You're doing a wonderful thing. :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am a probiotics believer. I would get some as beneficial organisms will out-populate the bad ones.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Welcome to the Tortoise Forum. Hope your guy is feeling better and eating lots more soon. Receiving your loving care he is probably happier already. Do you leave food available for him at all times ? When he gets his appetite back it won't stop :)

Sarahsaur

Yes, I leave grass, mulberry leaves and grassland tortoise pellets for him during the day.

Sarahsaur

I just wanted to post an update on Willie! He is eating like crazy now, we finished his antibiotic shots about 2 days ago and he is so much better! I can tell he has gained weight, but I can't find my food scale to weigh him. I'll post some quick pictures I took of him this morning during breakfast :) I think he is a lot happier :) :)

willienelsontongue.jpg willienelsonbetter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Keep up the good work, and keep up the updates!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Glad to hear he is eating Sarah ! I noticed that round Petco type Thermometer / hygrometer and wanted to let you know they are generally pretty inaccurate ! Something like this is more accurate and gives you both readings at the same time ! :)

bf18bd8c-9cfd-4d87-a719-8e95c0a2c235_400.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
GUYS! My husband took Willie outside in the sunshine today while I was at work and he actually ate some grass!!! It's the first he had eaten since we got him Friday night! I am so happy! :-D
WOO HOO!!!! :):):)
What a FABULOUS tortoise mom you are!!!!!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's great news - well done! He has found a wonderful forever home!

Sarahsaur

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with his progress!
Glad to hear he is eating Sarah ! I noticed that round Petco type Thermometer / hygrometer and wanted to let you know they are generally pretty inaccurate ! Something like this is more accurate and gives you both readings at the same time ! :)

bf18bd8c-9cfd-4d87-a719-8e95c0a2c235_400.jpg
Thank you! I have one ordered now, but it won't be here til tuesday! :)

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi I'm so glad for you that Willie is doing so well keep up the good work

Sarahsaur

Hello all! I just wanted to post a quick update on Willie. When I got him, he was severely underweight for an allegedly 2 year old tortoise. He weight 8 oz at the Veterinarian's office on June 18th. Well, I have been keeping a record of his weight and in 2 months it's more than doubled. He is 17.5 oz now, and he is growing! I am so happy he came into our lives. :) Here is the most recent pic I have of him. He was not happy with me picking him up.

willlliiiieeee.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I've just now seen this thread and I wanted to say Im VERY happy and glad Willie is in your care now. You clearly are caring for him like he deserves to be cared for. :) hes very handsome by the way !:):<3::tort:

Sarahsaur

Thank you so much! :) I'm so grateful for all the help and information I've received from everyone here. I would have been lost without this forum. :<3:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Sounds like he was rather underweight to put on 9.5 oz in two months! Glad to see he is now where he belongs with great care.

Sarahsaur

Yeah, the vet said he was about starved. The people who had him before were not giving him fresh veggies or grass on a regular basis. They were trying to feed him aquatic turtle food! They even gave him freeze dried shrimp for treats. He was in pretty rough shape at the beginning, he wouldn't eat anything for a week or so after we got him. Happy to say he eats like crazy now!