Tortoise Rescue in So Cal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antelope Valley
Hi everyone,

I came across an add on Criagslist by someone who was asking where she could take her Sulcatas. Apparently the CTTC around them will not take Sulcatas. I was not aware of this and I'm not sure if it is a size issue or what exactly?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other organization that does take in or rescue Sulcatas. I would really hope there was since they are such a wonderful tortoise for the right person. For whatever reason the lady is not looking to rehome them with a private owner.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know of any rescues in So Cal that want any, but there are lots of private individuals that would gladly take them. I can't understand why they would want to burden a rescue with them instead of letting them go directly to a good loving home.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
I completely agree. I am guessing that they are worried about somenoe taking them that is not properly set up for them. I just sent them an email offering to rehome them myself. I'm sure I or they if they chose to could find a wonderful home for them through someone on here. Criagslist may or may not provide experienced tortoises owners.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If it did go to a rescue wouldn't it eventually end up with a private owner?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dalano73 said:
If it did go to a rescue wouldn't it eventually end up with a private owner?

Good point. The eventual owner would most likely just have to jump through some hoops and pay some money for "adoptions fees". There are exceptions, but this is how most rescues operate.

LT, would it help to have a sulcata keeper like me that kind of knows the way things work talk to her? I'd be happy to.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I think that SDTTS takes them, but I don't know if they'll take them from someone out of the area. I hope that she will come around and allow you to take them.

There's someone here now with an ad that is moving and has to have her large female gone today or tomorrow, but she wants a $400 rehoming fee. I'm not sure what she's thinking.

Edit: Sorry, it's a big male she's trying to get rid of - 200 lbs. I'm sure he'll find a home easily, right?

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
The email link provided by craigslist is below.
[email protected]

I think they have actually taken the ad down but I'm not sure. They are located in Ventura to my knowledge. I think if someone were to perhaps send them some pictures of where the tortoises would be allowed to roam they would feel better about them going to someone.

Again this is all speculation and I hope you can find out more information from them directly. Thank you for doing this. I am somewhat bitter about the increase in populatrity of Sulcata tortoises being adopted out as young babies. It just seems like there are two kinds of people that adopt them. One being real tortoise lovers who are prepared for what they are getting into and others that think they are adorale as hatchlings and end up in over their head and have to rehome them later in life.

Lulu said:
I think that SDTTS takes them, but I don't know if they'll take them from someone out of the area. I hope that she will come around and allow you to take them.

There's someone here now with an ad that is moving and has to have her large female gone today or tomorrow, but she wants a $400 rehoming fee. I'm not sure what she's thinking.

Edit: Sorry, it's a big male she's trying to get rid of - 200 lbs. I'm sure he'll find a home easily, right?

People make me so mad!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LT, you are right about the two types of people. I have seen several other categories too, in addition to the two you listed.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world. Always has been and always will be. People like us, the forum members here, must do our best to educate and help.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Janine2566 said:
have tort ready yard can be inspected would love to adopt located in inland empire

Yvonne has a 100 pound sulcata up for adoption no fee you should p.m. her her user name is emysemys all she asks for is that she could inspect your yard first.

jlindsay

5 Year Member
I'm in SoCal looking for female sulcata ... what does she have?

Status
Not open for further replies.