Should my Russian tortoise be fed 5 days starved 2

Tallulah16

Location (City and/or State)
Staffordshire
I recently got a Russian tortoise he in nearly 10 years old and has been fed everyday for those 10 years but now he’s with me he is doing quite a few poos a day which isn’t normal so I didn’t no whether to start feeding him 5 days then give him 2 days of for his bowels to sort themselves out, has anyone got any advice.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed my four Russians everyday; occasionally I miss a day or two, singly or in a row, when I'm on the road... they're fine going without, but it's not something to build a schedule around, IMHO.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently got a Russian tortoise he in nearly 10 years old and has been fed everyday for those 10 years but now he’s with me he is doing quite a few poos a day which isn’t normal so I didn’t no whether to start feeding him 5 days then give him 2 days of for his bowels to sort themselves out, has anyone got any advice.
Your tortoise should be fed as much of the right foods as it wants to eat daily. They are grazers.

Here is the current and correct care info:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I put out fresh food and do my Russian's regular care every day. Especially since I don't want him to hibernate. Sometimes he doesn't eat or eats a little less but I want him to make that decision. I'm a firm believer in full fed because I don't want my animals worrying about where their next meal is coming from.??

Tallulah16

Staffordshire
The answer is in the word starve. Should anything be starved!
The people that keep spreading this kind of info needs to be starved.
Glad you asked here and didn't just fall for the bad info.

Thanks for the reply I’m really glad I asked here there are just so many websites that give you different stuff, every website Is different I will certainly be sticking here from now on, thank you I certainly will not be not feeding him any time soon

Tallulah16

Staffordshire
I put out fresh food and do my Russian's regular care every day. Especially since I don't want him to hibernate. Sometimes he doesn't eat or eats a little less but I want him to make that decision. I'm a firm believer in full fed because I don't want my animals worrying about where their next meal is coming from.??
Thanks you this really helped, I definitely do not want my tortoise worrying about when their next meal will be I will definitely be sticking to full feed

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the reply I’m really glad I asked here there are just so many websites that give you different stuff, every website Is different I will certainly be sticking here from now on, thank you I certainly will not be not feeding him any time soon
Lots of bad incorrect and out of date information still out there especially on places like FB.
You'll get very up to date information based on research by very experienced keepers here so forget the rest and make this your first port of call for any advice you need on how to keep your tort happy and healthy.
We've all made mistakes but thankfully because of TFO we've been able to correct them.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It has been my experience that this forum is the gold standard in tortoise care. I was doing a ”good” job caring for my Russian tortoise before I found the forum, but now I do the BEST for my tortoise because I became more educated. Welcome aboard!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks you this really helped, I definitely do not want my tortoise worrying about when their next meal will be I will definitely be sticking to full feed
I even do full fed with my house rabbit and they are notorious for overeating. She's not overweight. You just have to keep their food the things included in a good healthy diet for the animal. You can find that here possibly even for my rabbit let alone your tortoise. It's a great forum. Welcome ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I even do full fed with my house rabbit and they are notorious for overeating. She's not overweight. You just have to keep their food the things included in a good healthy diet for the animal. You can find that here possibly even for my rabbit let alone your tortoise. It's a great forum. Welcome ?
Yes, proper diet and exercise, which for a tortoise means proper enclosure size and they won't get over weight.
Now if I could do that for myself lol.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, proper diet and exercise, which for a tortoise means proper enclosure size and they won't get over weight.
Now if I could do that for myself lol.
Amen to that. I'm notorious for not eating enough and both matter.?

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Hi Cathy, me too. I have tortoise (sulcata) and french lop, they both eat copious amounts of readigrass at the moment, about the same size as their bodies. Neither are overweight.... unlike me ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi Cathy, me too. I have tortoise (sulcata) and french lop, they both eat copious amounts of readigrass at the moment, about the same size as their bodies. Neither are overweight.... unlike me ?
My little bunny is a mini lop. My tortoise is a Russian. He can eat a pile bigger than him if he's in the mood. My bunny won't eat veggies and every one says she should. She'll only eat her Timothy hay and Timothy based chow. She lays around unless she gets a wild hare. She reminds me of a little ragdoll. ? I guess we're stuck as we are ?