Tortoise poop

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
hi, so my hermanne is 5 this year and it was my 3rd time hibernating him, all seems well and i feel the hibernation period went well just like the other times,
he has come out and he seems fine, walking about being a nuisance as usual and eating daily but he hasn't had a poo yet and its been about 10 days, is this an issue to worry about? its just he seems fine and is doing everything he did before hibernation apart from the poop.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I live with Russians, and mine don't hibernate, so I can't give specific advice, but I would recommend a long soak in warm water, possibly with the soaking enclosure on a slight tilt, to encourage the tort to keep walking... it's been my experience that a warm soak and walking will almost always yield a poop.

Fingers Crossed!

Jamie

Reactions: Ink

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
I live with Russians, and mine don't hibernate, so I can't give specific advice, but I would recommend a long soak in warm water, possibly with the soaking enclosure on a slight tilt, to encourage the tort to keep walking... it's been my experience that a warm soak and walking will almost always yield a poop.

Fingers Crossed!

Jamie
ok thanks i will give this a try :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi, so my hermanne is 5 this year and it was my 3rd time hibernating him, all seems well and i feel the hibernation period went well just like the other times,
he has come out and he seems fine, walking about being a nuisance as usual and eating daily but he hasn't had a poo yet and its been about 10 days, is this an issue to worry about? its just he seems fine and is doing everything he did before hibernation apart from the poop.
This is normal. If you did it correctly, the gut should have been completely empty when the tortoise went into brumation. It will take several days of eating to begin to fill the gut back up, and then several more days for that initial food to work its way through the gut and be excreted. I feed them pretty light for their first week or two out of brumation, and that makes it take even longer for anything to come out the other end.

Soaking and exercise will ensure that all is moving and all is good.