Tortoise poop

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Will throwing fresh tortoise poop (mixed with water) directly to the soil make it become fertilizer?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Fresh/raw manure (ie. uncomposted manure) is generally not recommended when talking about sheep, cattle, poultry, etc. so I would assume the same applies for tortoises (but I have never tested this - nor do I keep the grazing species of tortoise I suspect you're talking about). Raw manure is more concentrated in nutrients and can scorch plants and prevent seedlings from germinating. It's also a much greater risk for spreading things like salmonella. I'd compost before applying to gardens.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. And can all of you give me some light the most easiest, troublesome, and simple way to compost it. The times it takes in order to be ready to use? What i need in order to compost it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Will throwing fresh tortoise poop (mixed with water) directly to the soil make it become fertilizer?
I wouldn't pile it up into a pyramid, but a little caca here and there is fine. I do it all the time when out with mine for exercise and they poop on sidewalk, I just scoop it up and throw in my flower beds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't pile it up, I spread it out and turn it about once a week to keep adding oxygen to the mix.

Votty

Ive been in two minds as to weather to scoop up and dispose of or dig into his substrata to let it compost. Ive gone with the digging in and do it around once a week. He is on an organic additive free compost/soil/choir mix. Is this okay?