Tortoise poo before hibernation

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I'm just checking that my tortoise should be pooing before hibernation. He's not had any food for about a week and a half now as he gets ready to hibernate. Today he did a large poo with some urates. I'm pretty sure this is what he is supposed to be doing as he is emptying his gut before hibernation. Could someone just tell me if I am right in what I'm saying? Thanks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, it takes about 2 weeks after he last ate to empty his gut, as long as he is warm enough.

Give him plenty of soaks before he brumates. He needs all the hydration he can get, and it will help clear those urates.

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Thanks I'll continue to do that for the next 2 week's and then he'll be going into the fridge

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thanks I'll continue to do that for the next 2 week's and then he'll be going into the fridge
How do you lower his temp to go into the fridge?

I also use a fridge. My tort is outside until the nighttime temp matches the fridge temp, then in he goes. Actually tonight is supposed to get cold enough. If it does, he'll go in in the early morning. If not, tomorrow night should work.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With indoor torts, leave the lights off during the wind down. You don't want any supplementary heat. And I would pop him in a box in the garage or similar unheated space the night before moving him to the fridge

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Yeah I have done that exactly he is in the workshop at around 17 degrees. I have had the light on for 6 hours a day but he hasn't been bothered by it and just stayed hidden away. I'll leave it off now, Thanks