Tortoise pacing?

caitlin19

5 Year Member
A little background: I got my two Russians (Boris and Natasha) a little over two weeks ago. Natasha is more active but Boris has become less shy. I have a 4ftx1.5ft terrarium with wood along the sides so they can't see out. I use coconut coir and sand substrate. They have a uvb and infrared heat lamp that I turn off at night. The temperature on the cool end is about 75-80 degrees during the day and about 70-75 at night. The warm end is around 85-90 and the basking area is about 93-95. I have been giving them spring mix, dandelion greens and RepCal pellets for food, but they don't eat much. I also soak them every morning for 15 minutes. I take them out of the tank whenever I'm home, so they get out about 4 or 5 days a week for several hours, but they still stay indoors where I can keep track of them.

Last week they seemed fine, like they were adjusting to their new home. I noticed Natasha eating and Boris would come out from under a brick hideout in the tank more and more. I kept them in their tank longer last week so they could feed more (they aren't really interested in food when they are out).

Normally Natasha would dig and scratch at the walls for a little bit trying to get out, but Boris would either sit in the hideout or in a corner under the heat lamp. Yesterday, both of them were pacing back and forth for hours, scratching in the corners, climbing over each other and filling their water bowl with substrate. When I let them out, they were fine. Today I noticed the same behavior this morning before I went to class. Usually they would calm down while I was away and go under the hideout or under the lamp, but when I came back two hours later, they were still pacing and trying to get out. I let them out again and they are completely calm.

I read that this behavior occurs in females when they are looking to lay eggs, but I've only had them for two weeks, so I don't know if this is what is happening or if it's something else.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome to TFO! The very first thing I would be sure of are the temps. Are you using something that is accurate on readings? Something like a temp gun?

caitlin19

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome to TFO! The very first thing I would be sure of are the temps. Are you using something that is accurate on readings? Something like a temp gun?

I have the 2 temp strips that stick to the sides of the tank and a gauge under the basking spot that gives temperature and humidity. I just put one of my culinary thermometers near the gauge and it read 1.5 degrees warmer.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They probably got used to their new home enough to know they want out. LOL... It is good you get them outside alot. Make sure if you can't give them a larger indoor place or a large outdoor one that you continue to do so. And welcome!

caitlin19

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
They probably got used to their new home enough to know they want out. LOL... It is good you get them outside alot. Make sure if you can't give them a larger indoor place or a large outdoor one that you continue to do so. And welcome!

That's what I was wondering too. They found out there's a world outside their tank. The only thing I worry about is that I haven't noticed them eat when they are outside the tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. That enclosure is wayyyyyyyy to small.
2. Russians should not be housed in pairs.
3. Infrared bulbs are not a good way to go in my opinion. You should use regular "daylight" bulbs for day time, and nothing at night.
4. When you say "let them out...", where are you letting them out to?

It seems to me that the initial shock of moving to a new home is wearing off and they are settling in and starting to behave normally.

Hope we can help you get squared away.

caitlin19

5 Year Member
hunterk997 said:
How big are your tortoises?

Boris is 5" long and Natasha is 4.5"

Tom said:
1. That enclosure is wayyyyyyyy to small.
2. Russians should not be housed in pairs.
3. Infrared bulbs are not a good way to go in my opinion. You should use regular "daylight" bulbs for day time, and nothing at night.
4. When you say "let them out...", where are you letting them out to?

It seems to me that the initial shock of moving to a new home is wearing off and they are settling in and starting to behave normally.

Hope we can help you get squared away.

I didn't intend to have two, but that's how many my parents got me. I can arrange to give them one of the torts the next time they come down.

How large of an enclosure do you recommend for just one? I'm a bit limited when it comes to space, and can't go much longer than 4 ft. I have room for more width, though.

I don't let them go outside, since they tend to go all over the place and I'm afraid of loosing one of them. There is grass around my apartment complex as well, but I'm not sure if its sprayed with pesticides, so that's another reason I'm hesitant. When I let them out of the tank, I put them in the living room and they both run around there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My guess is the enclosure is too small. Especially the depth. 1.5 feet in depth feels cramped.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you can only offer 4' in length then I would suggest that you increase the depth as much as possible and add a second story. You can search this forum for ramps and two story enclosures to get some ideas.

Good luck.