tortoise pacing

steel1234

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
i have a almost 3 year old eastern hermanns tortoise, and he won’t stop pacing and climbing the walls of his enclosure i check everything regularly and even try to give him more things for enrichment but he just tears it all up and causes danger to himself, i don’t really know what else to do at this point i have to blast music so i can focus on my studies because he will go at it for hours no matter what i try to do to remedy the issue. please help i feel really bad his enclosure is 6 feet long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does he have an outdoor enclosure you can put him in?
My tortoises, since it has been warm a lot of days, are pacing more, I'm sure wanting to go outside. They can tell, even in their artificial enclosures that it's suppose to be time for them to be outside. It's also one of the times of year they would be looking for a mate
Best I can tell ya is to put him outside on the days that are warm enough. If you don't have that option, then I don't know what else to tell you but expand the enclosure and see if that helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i have a almost 3 year old eastern hermanns tortoise, and he won’t stop pacing and climbing the walls of his enclosure i check everything regularly and even try to give him more things for enrichment but he just tears it all up and causes danger to himself, i don’t really know what else to do at this point i have to blast music so i can focus on my studies because he will go at it for hours no matter what i try to do to remedy the issue. please help i feel really bad his enclosure is 6 feet long.
What size tortoise? What size enclosure? 6 feet long by how wide?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area directly under the bulb and overnight low?

What type of heat lamps and UV bulbs?

What substrate are you using?

Lots of helpful info here:

steel1234

New Jersey
My tortoises, since it has been warm a lot of days, are pacing more, I'm sure wanting to go outside. They can tell, even in their artificial enclosures that it's suppose to be time for them to be outside. It's also one of the times of year they would be looking for a mate
Best I can tell ya is to put him outside on the days that are warm enough. If you don't have that option, then I don't know what else to tell you but expand the enclosure and see if that helps.
he probably got thrown off because for like a a week it was 90 degrees here and then it dropped to the 50s and won’t get hot again, i wanna build him an enclosure but it’s not warm enough, im expanding his enclosure to make a 2nd floor im just hoping that’ll be enough

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please try to answer the questions about the conditions in his enclosure, and post a few pictures, if you can?