tortoise out at night?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i was just walking to the bathroom and i have to pass my tortoises enclosure and i notice he's just chilling in his feeding area as if he were waiting on me

it's pitch black no lights on him i only seen from the light i had to flip on to walk by is there any harm to him wandering around his enclosure at night? or any reason why they do this?

this is the first time i've ever seen him do it and i know he was asleep awhile ago because he was hiding

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Is it a Red Foot? Mine also do this. I try to find them and put them away into their night houses at dark, and sometimes they will just not be tired.

yeah it's a red that was my only logical explanation that he's not tired

it's pitch black in the room and his temps are being met so i'm not to worried just curious what other's have to say

his temps right now is 81 so i don't think he's cold or anything

i did just add a new 48" light towards the end of the day tho before he only had a 30" before and it was T8 now it's T5 i wonder if that could have anything to do with it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I sometimes see that with my babies that are kept in the house. I use blacklights at night. I also use blacklights in the outdoor houses/sheds, and I never see the outdoor tortoises up and about at night.