Tortoise not eating greens

Morgan P

Location (City and/or State)
Fairview, TX
I got a red footed cherry head tortoise 3 months ago from a local small breeder. It was born in June. Since I got it, I struggle to get it to eat greens. I mix other things within the greens to try to entice them and they eat around it and only eat a few pieces if I am lucky. I have had best luck with red leaf lettuce but have tried mustard greens, romaine lettuce, collard greens and kale. The small amount of fruit I mix in is usually mango but sometimes banana, papaya, cantaloupe or strawberries…but usually mango. Other small things I mix in are mushroom or Mazuri. I always feed them after a midday soak and the soak is 30 min. They usually run away from the food after I put them in their enclosure after the soak so I come back in maybe 15 min to put them back in front of it. I got a scale and they are gaining weight slowly.
Any advice on getting them to eat greens better??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What protein do you feed?
What are the temps, humidity, and lighting and heating you use?
How many, how big, how old and in what size enclosure?
@ZEROPILOT can help if you give the answers to the questions I asked.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot generally eat like little pigs. But smaller and younger ones can be a little more picky and especially when it's a food they are unfamiliar with.
You can feed 50% fruit. Just mix it up. Don't feed too much of any 1 item.
At this size. Just let then eat and grow. They'll start eating everything soon.

How are they being kept? How many do you have?

Morgan P

Fairview, TX
I have a 48x24x14 PVC enclosure.http://email-sendgrid-deep-linking....NRPlBaYjQq8GIjSKww5axC6rp7fuU1yNi-2Flxg-3D-3D
I use a Govee wifi thermometer and the high is 90 and humidity on average is around 70%, I hope to get that just a bit higher. A UVB lamp and radiant heat panel are attached to the top of the enclosure. The enclosure and accessories the breeder recommended. She doesn’t do many hatchlings, just a handful a year. She has been amazing and communicative, but just feel like the lil guy still eats like crap. She said they are fine when they were with her, but said maybe they are better because of the other couple babies and the competitiveness made them eat better maybe?

Attachments

• 47ECC7E7-1008-4CAF-8C86-09FB80B78D4E.jpeg
    47ECC7E7-1008-4CAF-8C86-09FB80B78D4E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Morgan P

Fairview, TX
I have a 48x24x14 PVC enclosure.http://email-sendgrid-deep-linking....NRPlBaYjQq8GIjSKww5axC6rp7fuU1yNi-2Flxg-3D-3D
I use a Govee wifi thermometer and the high is 90 and humidity on average is around 70%, I hope to get that just a bit higher. A UVB lamp and radiant heat panel are attached to the top of the enclosure. The enclosure and accessories the breeder recommended. She doesn’t do many hatchlings, just a handful a year. She has been amazing and communicative, but just feel like the lil guy still eats like crap. She said they are fine when they were with her, but said maybe they are better because of the other couple babies and the competitiveness made them eat better maybe?
Mushrooms and Mazuri for protein

Morgan P

Fairview, TX
Redfoot generally eat like little pigs. But smaller and younger ones can be a little more picky and especially when it's a food they are unfamiliar with.
You can feed 50% fruit. Just mix it up. Don't feed too much of any 1 item.
At this size. Just let then eat and grow. They'll start eating everything soon.

How are they being kept? How many do you have?
Ok thanks. They are gaining weight so the breeder has said that’s good…they just literally push away the greens like a toddler haha. So just didn’t know if I was doing something wrong and should do something different.

Wilke

chicago
Hi, I am in the same boat . Our red footed is already a few years old but never really wants greens. He will inhale Mazuri, cat food, worms and bugs. He will eat squash, cantaloupe and strawberries, but rarely the greens and if then, only red leaf lettuce. I was always told 90 percent greens but it's never been that way. Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, I am in the same boat . Our red footed is already a few years old but never really wants greens. He will inhale Mazuri, cat food, worms and bugs. He will eat squash, cantaloupe and strawberries, but rarely the greens and if then, only red leaf lettuce. I was always told 90 percent greens but it's never been that way. Any advice?
Smear the greens with fruit or cat food and chop into tiny pieces. If they want the fruit or cat food it smells like, they have to eat the chopped green.