Tortoise not eating after attack

Sarah McCabe

Location (City and/or State)
ireland
Our bearded dragon bit our baby russian tort on the face, caused quite a bit of damage, both eyes were closed and the would was between them. Brought him to the vet straight away and he was given antibiotics . His face seems to be healing well, one eye is open and looks fine but other still shut. i am worried as he hasnt eaten a thing in over a week.

he was back for a check up yesterday and vet seemed happy enough and tube fed him some critical care food, in the hope it might stimulate his appetite. he said his beak is strong and so he should be able to eat. Soaking him twice daily to make sure he is hydrated but he still wont eat. Before the accident he was a great eater and loved his food. Have tried all food with him and he just wont touch it.

I dont him to suffer a long painful death, if he is going to pass would rather get him put to sleep than prolong suffering.

Has anyone experience this and the little tort survive?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Im sure he will come around.. hes been through a stressful time. Tortoises can go quite awhile without eating.. continue the soaks to be sure hes hydrated and im sure everything will be fine. Good luck! And keep that beardie away

Sarah McCabe

ireland
Im sure he will come around.. hes been through a stressful time. Tortoises can go quite awhile without eating.. continue the soaks to be sure hes hydrated and im sure everything will be fine. Good luck! And keep that beardie away
The beardie and him are kept seperate. My partner was introducing them turned his back for a second and it happened. He feels awful so really hope he will be okay

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Aww poor lil guy. Just keep it clean.. i wouldnt put him on any substrate till he heals up. Maybe just some paper towels on the floor of enclosure and keep him warm

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Accidents happen so dont kick urself to much over it... just learn from the mistake

Sarah McCabe

ireland
Aww poor lil guy. Just keep it clean.. i wouldnt put him on any substrate till he heals up. Maybe just some paper towels on the floor of enclosure and keep him warm
Will give him over weekend and contact vet again for further advice. Just breaks my heart if he is suffering

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sheesh! You wouldn't think a lizard could inflict that kind of damage.

The tortoise is traumatized and stressed out. It's going to take him a while to realize he's safe once again. One thing to help him feel safe is to leave him in his enclosure. You might try keeping that closed eye lubricated, so it doesn't get hard and crusty. There's an eye gel called Veterycin. If the pet store doesn't sell it you can get it online.

Sarah McCabe

ireland
I know I didn't think beardie had sharp teeth but lesson learned. He still has anti biotic drops have to put in his eyes twice a day so that keeping it from drying out. Thanks so much for all advice

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Awesome! Keep up the good wrk.. he’ll be back to normal in no time

Sarah McCabe

ireland
Guys sorry to bother ye again but just wondering if it's normal for him to be sleepy and burrowed into a corner all the time. I k ow he traumatized just wanna make sure it's not gonna do more harm. than good. That's all he does when out him back after his baths, is burrow down

Sarah McCabe

ireland
Don't think it's looking too good for poor Shelby. Did another carrot puree bath today and he just wanted to sleep in it. He is fairly lifeless and all he wants to do is sleep. Only opens his eyes for very short period of time

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Guys sorry to bother ye again but just wondering if it's normal for him to be sleepy and burrowed into a corner all the time. I k ow he traumatized just wanna make sure it's not gonna do more harm. than good. That's all he does when out him back after his baths, is burrow down
It's normal for him to burrow down. That's their way to feel safe and secure.