Tortoise nibbled a crayon!

Melissa101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all, my spur thighed tortoise is kept on a tortoise table, sitting on a dining table, so that he’s away from my dog and my toddler. Or so I thought!

Turns out that while my 21 month old can’t reach into the enclosure, he can toss things in! At some point today or yesterday he’s tossed a crayon in there. I found it today, and it’s been nibbled around the edges. While there’s a small chance my son nibbled it, I get the feeling Harry the tortoise has had some too. It doesn’t look like too much (I’ll post a pic), but he would’ve swallowed some. It’s just a regular wax crayon that children use.

Do I just hope it’ll pass through? Any tips? Does it require vet attention? Obviously I’ll take him if needed, but consultations are expensive, and if they just recommend waiting it out then it feels like spending money we don’t have for something unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 46B025AC-FCCA-4385-9B4C-AC1A7E6ED17E.jpeg
    46B025AC-FCCA-4385-9B4C-AC1A7E6ED17E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Jdaniel

Mobile, Alabama
Not an expert by any means, but I think the odds of a blockage depends on the size of your tort relative to the crayon piece.

What foods are good natural laxatives for torts?
Edit: have you been able to find any marks on his face? I would think it would have left some if he bit it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd feed aloe and cucumber and not worry about it.

Jamie

Agree. Aloe and cucumber or melon, etc. A few extra soaks, but crayon wax is pretty benign. I’m sure they expect “kids” and pets to nibble.

➡➡➡ Crayons are generally made from wax and coloring. The ingredients are considered non-toxic and most cases will not require medical attention. However, if a crayon is eaten, it may cause an upset stomach. Additionally, crayons can be a choking hazard, just like any toy that can fit into a child's mouth.

➡️➡️ In general, wax is not poisonous. If a child eats a small amount of crayon, the wax will pass through the child's system without causing a problem. However, eating large amounts of wax or crayons can lead to intestinal obstruction.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, my spur thighed tortoise is kept on a tortoise table, sitting on a dining table, so that he’s away from my dog and my toddler. Or so I thought!

Turns out that while my 21 month old can’t reach into the enclosure, he can toss things in! At some point today or yesterday he’s tossed a crayon in there. I found it today, and it’s been nibbled around the edges. While there’s a small chance my son nibbled it, I get the feeling Harry the tortoise has had some too. It doesn’t look like too much (I’ll post a pic), but he would’ve swallowed some. It’s just a regular wax crayon that children use.

Do I just hope it’ll pass through? Any tips? Does it require vet attention? Obviously I’ll take him if needed, but consultations are expensive, and if they just recommend waiting it out then it feels like spending money we don’t have for something unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
It doesn't appear that much of the crayon was eaten. As stated by Jdaniel, the size of your tortoise in relation the the small amount missing from the end of the crayon would be a consideration in whether any blockage could be possible IF any was even swallowed. However, from what I can see, I seriously doubt you need a vet visit to manage this situation unless the tortoise stops eating. Just soak the tortoise daily for 15-20 minutes and feed it aloe, cucumber, and some cactus pads to help lubricate the gut.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks everyone! Tort is 16 years old, so big enough that I’m hoping it couldn’t cause a blockage. Thanks for all the advice!