Tortoise Nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

5 Year Member
Just wondering isit advise to cut the nail of the tortoise if is growing too long and how to go about it if really needed to do so!!!:tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Usually all that is needed is rocks, stones and/or a piece of slate or similar for your tort to climb and walk around on. Nature does claw trimming best.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If possible, put some flat rock or tiles in the enclosure for him to walk on, not as the whole substrate though, just here and there and also to eat off of. This will help to keep both nails and beak filed down. Post a pic and someone could tell you if it needed to be cut now or if you could let him get it worn down himself

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My Tyrone had two that were longer than the rest, so when I took him to the vet for a beak trim, they clipped the long ones too!
Let's see a picture !

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Trimming a tortoise's nails is similar to trimming the nails of a dog, cat, rabbit, etc. You want to make sure to use a nice SHARP pair of nippers, because their nails are thick and strong. Dog clippers work perfect, but they have to be SHARP or they can split or shatter the nail and that is not good. You do not want to cut too much initially, because just like with a dog or other animal, the longer the nail gets the longer the "quick" is. The quick is the part in the center of the nail that contains nerves and blood vessels. Animals can literally bleed to death from having the quick cut into. It is best to have some styptic powder on hand to stop any bleeding that occurs.

Trim a little at a time, allowing a couple of weeks in between trims. Feed your tortoise on a rough piece of slate or cement, and this will help wear down the beak and nails. Allow outside time and digging to keep them worn down as well.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I think taking them to the vet to get them cut would be the best. They have the stuff that stops the quicks from bleeding and it works really good! I'm always scared to cut my animals nails because it hurts them when you hit the quicks! Just an idea though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.