tortoise mating

john p

5 Year Member
I have 2 sulcatas that are 5 years old. the smaller of the 2 just started mounting the other. I believe they are brother and sister. My question is , if 2 tortoises that are related mate can they produce offspring?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have 2 sulcatas that are 5 years old. the smaller of the 2 just started mounting the other. I believe they are brother and sister. My question is , if 2 tortoises that are related mate can they produce offspring?
Yes, they can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Mounting is not necessarily sexual. Often it it a show of dominance and territoriality. One is telling the other to "get out!", but it can't. This is very stressful for both of them. Sickness is likely.

I agree that they can produce offspring, but would opine that they should not be allowed to.

Here is an easy way to separate them into separate enclosures, but still have only one night box to heat. Where are you?

Summer✨

Washington State
Yes they will produce offspring but there could be health issues. My family breeds horses and we know that inbreeding two horses will give the foal monster-ish features (Two eyes, missing legs, unable to breath, born dead, etc). So I certainly do not suggest letting them do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they will produce offspring but there could be health issues. My family breeds horses and we know that inbreeding two horses will give the foal monster-ish features (Two eyes, missing legs, unable to breath, born dead, etc). So I certainly do not suggest letting them do it.
Its not the same for reptiles as it is mammals. You can get away with it for much longer with reptiles than you can mammals without problems. Insects even longer and more generations with no problems.