Tortoise lethargic

Digger&Blinky

My tortoise blinky is a 3 year old russian tortoise he doesnt move much and is not as active as he used to be its winter here so im not sure if hes hibernating he doesnt eat much and i barely find any poopies in his house he looks healthy buts hes not very active. Can you suggest anything?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
A photo of your enclosure and some info about your enclosures temps, type of lights the torts diet and substrate may all help people to identify any potential problems.
He may be trying to hibernate. Make sure your temps are correct and that he's getting twelve to fourteen hours of light a day to simulate summer conditions.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good , up to date information.

Digger&Blinky

Hi, my russian tortoise Blinky is having trouble with his eyes they arent fully open and i can only see a little slit of his actual eyes i bathed him and applied eyes drops. I might have to take him to the tortie vets!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It may be down to dehydration or cold temperatures.
Soak him at least once a day up to just above where the plastron joins the carapace for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water.
Make sure your temperatures are 85°F minimum at all times.
What type of uvb bulb are you using ? Coiled or compact bulbs have been known to cause eye problems . If you have one it needs to be removed and replaced immediately.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA