Tortoise keepers/breeders new to forum looking for advice

Docjim

Location (City and/or State)
Kenosha Wisconsin
Hi, my wife and I are new to the forum. We keep and breed Burmese and Sri Lankan star tortoise and leopard tortoises. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best place to post ads for baby tortoises? I have had very bad experiences trying to use Kingsnake and won't post there any more (seems like many others feel the same way based on the volume of their ads compared to the past). We would appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Jim and Kirsten.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, my wife and I are new to the forum. We keep and breed Burmese and Sri Lankan star tortoise and leopard tortoises. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best place to post ads for baby tortoises? I have had very bad experiences trying to use Kingsnake and won't post there any more (seems like many others feel the same way based on the volume of their ads compared to the past). We would appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Jim and Kirsten.
Hello and welcome!

How about Morph Market and Fauna classified?

And here on TFO once you join the community and make enough posts. We'd love to learn from you and also share what we've learned. There is a lot of new info out in the world that a lot of very experienced long term keepers are not aware of yet. Check out this thread to get you up to speed, and look for the care sheets near the bottom. Questions and conversation are welcome! :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It would be good to understand specifically why you did not like Kingsnake. All on-line sales venues have a potential to help you meet someone working to scam you. I experience anxiety when I ship, and I think the shipping consolidator I use is really great. I have decided to sell at reptile shows or through local inquiry.

Docjim

Kenosha Wisconsin
Hi Will, the problem with Kingsnake was not a concern about fraud. I sent them #20 for a one month ad posting, and they never posted it after working with them twice. Now I am just asking for my money back and want to try another venue. I tried to time my post to coincide with the Tinley NARBC which is not too far and would allow meet-ups for interested buyers. Now after repeat efforts it is too late to do that, so just want to avoid them altogether. James.

Docjim

Kenosha Wisconsin
Also, they never reached out to me with any problem, just never posted it twice without comment to me. Talk about garbage customer service. Just want to try something else. Like you I will try local smaller shows in the midwest - small operators like me are just locked out of NARBC. James.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, they never reached out to me with any problem, just never posted it twice without comment to me. Talk about garbage customer service. Just want to try something else. Like you I will try local smaller shows in the midwest - small operators like me are just locked out of NARBC. James.
How are you "locked out" of NARBC? Anyone can buy a booth at our big shows out here, and with what you are selling, it should pay for itself pretty quickly.

I'm sorry to hear you are having troubles. You are working with great species that make wonderful pets and their size makes them so suitable for winter housing in your climate too. I wish all the sulcata buyers up your way would just contact you instead...

Docjim

Kenosha Wisconsin
Tinley NARBC is fully booked for YEARS out, so no way for me to get in alone. I have tried sharing and subletting and there has never been any interest - everybody seems to have no space available even for a generous commission on sales. Interesting that you mention Sulcatas. When I do shows with my leopards available, people almost always pass them up for the cheaper mass produced sulcatas that are invariably at those bigger shows. And yes, I always tell them about how much better smaller tortoises are, but the general public will almost always only look at the bottom line! Thanks, JK

Docjim

Kenosha Wisconsin
Oh, BTW, how does one go about selling on Tortoise Forum? It looks like one has to be pre-approved, but not sure how to do that. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, BTW, how does one go about selling on Tortoise Forum? It looks like one has to be pre-approved, but not sure how to do that. Thanks.
Took me a minute, but I found it. Second paragraph:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Will, the problem with Kingsnake was not a concern about fraud. I sent them #20 for a one month ad posting, and they never posted it after working with them twice. Now I am just asking for my money back and want to try another venue. I tried to time my post to coincide with the Tinley NARBC which is not too far and would allow meet-ups for interested buyers. Now after repeat efforts it is too late to do that, so just want to avoid them altogether. James.
Well that's no good. There are a few alternatives. Most don't have any way for me to promote my products. I tried posting tortoise food in the chelonian section of a few and get called out for no staying in my lane. It's more work, but all the Facebook groups work well. There is even one for you as a vendor to presell for Tinley - discretely.

Docjim

Kenosha Wisconsin
Thanks Will, I will explore the Facebook angle. The pre-Tinley ship has obviously already sailed for this year, so I will look at other avenues including some smaller local shows, which, like everything else, tend to be heavily snake (Ball Python morphs) and not too many tortoise folks esp. up here in the north. Can you be more specific about the discrete one for preselling?