Tortoise is acting funny..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
I bought a 4.5" male greek tortoise about 3 weeks ago and have grown extremely fond of him.. The first day I brought him home he ate a huge plate of spring greens and some green beans.. and for the next 4 days didnt really eat much of anything and hid most of the time.. I just figured he was trying to get used to his new environment so I left him alone and only bothered him for his daily morning soak.. Right now I and my husband are in the process of building him a tortoise table but for now he is in a 40Gal breeder tank.. the substrate is Aspen.. He has a hide spot with some hay.. Cool side is 74.3 degrees (thats where his hiding spot is, there is also a small heat mat made for a hermit crab tank under the side that he sleeps) and his basking spot is 93.3 where his slate is.. According to everything I have researched, Greeks like to bask.. He has a shallow water dish that his whole body fits in also on the cooler side along with his food dish.. His humidity is 38% .. After his 4 day waiting period he started coming out more and eating a few times a day..and basking on his own.. He did this for a good week and every morning I would soak him he would poop nice solid poops probably a little bigger than a raisin. sometimes 1 and then others 2 to 3 of them.. He would also pee and then pass the white urates.. Then all of a sudden he started eating less and sleeping more.. Id put him by his food and he would eat a piece of a green bean and then walk to his bed.. So Id take him out after 6 or 7 hrs of just sleeping and put him by his food and hed eat a few pieces and leave again..and go back to his bed.. I thought maybe I was making him to cold at night because I do have an air conditioner and when it was time for bed Id unplug his basking ceramic heater and also the heat mat and it was getting down to around 61 to 63 degrees.. so after a few days of that I decided to leave everything on at all times so I didnt chill him anymore.. Well He hasnt gotten any better.. infact I think hes getting worse.. He seems to be walking a little differently kind of like hes lethargic and weak and Im not sure if Im just being a worry wart but it seems to me he holds his head a bit crooked at times.. I put him on his basking spot today and he laid there for about 30 min and then went back to his bed.. Sometimes hell walk out to the middle of his cage and just lay there and sleep.. I just feel so bad for the little guy.. I have been searching high and low for a herp vet around here and I found one.. called to see what their hours are and they are open tomorrow so Im going to call and get him in.. if anyone has any ideas what this could be I would greatly appreciate any of your words of wisdom as I am at a loss and am heartbroken to see him not feeling good..
Thank you..

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Poor little guy :( I am glad you are taking him to the vet. I wood take a poo sample so they can check for parasites. Let us know how it goes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi picadillydo:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
Well I called the Vet and shes not available til possibly Monday, They have to call me back because shes supposed to be going away for the week but might have to cancel.. heres to hoping she has to cancel.. Ugh.. To me this in an emergency but to them I guess not so much. I hope he makes it til then..

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear your new tortoise is under the weather.
Hope you can get him checked soon.
Does he perk up in a warm water soak?
Good Luck
Louise

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I'll offer some suggestions.I have never kept Greeks or had any health issues with my tortoises,so this advice is things I've seen others give on the forum.You could try soaking him in warm water with a jar of carrot puree baby food mixed in it.Have the water about "chin deep". I would also bring the temperature up to at least 80 degrees on the cool side of the enclosure.I can't guarantee it will help,but it certainly can't hurt him.

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
Tortoise said:
Hi
Welcome to the forum

Good Luck
Louise

He only perks up because he doesnt want to be in there..but then I dont think its "perking up" because he just walks in circles and every few seconds tries to lay his head down in the water.. I got him to eat a few green beans with some vitamins and calcium powder on them a few minutes ago.. not that that will do anything Im just trying everythiing.. Is my best bet just to leave him alone? I feel like everytime I touch him to make him eat or soak him Im stressing him out..

pickadillydo said:
Tortoise said:
Hi
Welcome to the forum

Good Luck
Louise

He only perks up because he doesnt want to be in there..but then I dont think its "perking up" because he just walks in circles and every few seconds tries to lay his head down in the water.. I got him to eat a few green beans with some vitamins and calcium powder on them a few minutes ago.. not that that will do anything Im just trying everythiing.. Is my best bet just to leave him alone? I feel like everytime I touch him to make him eat or soak him Im stressing him out..

Thanks for the info on the carrot puree.. I will get some and try it today.. The vet called back and Cant get him in until friday..She cant find anyone to watch her daughter so she wont be in.. Grrrrr.. So they gave me the number of another animal hospital but I have to call back on Tuesday to see if there have been any cancelations so he can be fit in.. if not then I cant get him in until Friday.. Oh boy.. My poor little Silas.. I wish the Animal Hosp I took my dogs to took tortoises.. Hes only 5 min down the Rd and always fits a sick animal in..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
tortoise drink by putting thier heads in the water. Some people think they are drowning.. try the baby food soaks, be sure its warm and not chilled.
What about real sunshine? does he get any?
Do you use a coil bulb? if so, turn it off!
Where did it come from? What was the diet there?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
I don't think the soaks will harm him.The carrot puree is a good idea.
I have also soaked some sick hatchlings in pure fruit and veggie juice too and they did take some in.
Anything is worth a try, even a few sips will help provide a few calories.
Good luck it must be very frustrating to not be able to get to a vet.

Try looking up tortoise breeders as some of them may be open to you calling them perhaps for some advice?
Just an idea
Louise

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
Laura said:
tortoise drink by putting thier heads in the water. Some people think they are drowning.. try the baby food soaks, be sure its warm and not chilled.
What about real sunshine? does he get any?
Do you use a coil bulb? if so, turn it off!
Where did it come from? What was the diet there?

Well I just noticed a clear liquid coming from his mouth :( so He must have an RI.. I do hear a little crackling too.. not sure if its when he breathes or just because he had the mucous in his mouth.. He hasnt been outside yet but I dont want to move him because he clearly looks horrible.. No I dont have a coil bulb I hate them and they hurt my eyes so id never use them on my animals.. I have a reptisun 5.0 strip light.. He came from a place called Strictly reptiles in Hollywood Florida.... His diet there I have no idea but his diet here is spring salad.. mixed frozen veggie.. grass..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Clear liquid from the mouth or nose is usually a sign of an RI which means you received him sick more than likely. Is he eating at all? or has he stopped eating period? I would keep him warm until the vet can see him, keeping him warm will help him out, make sure he can cool down but don't turn off his heat sources. RI can be tricky (and usually expensive) but when caught early enough they usually recover. Watch for open mouth breathing and blowing bubbles out of the nose.

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Clear liquid from the mouth or nose is usually a sign of an RI which means you received him sick more than likely. Is he eating at all? or has he stopped eating period? I would keep him warm until the vet can see him, keeping him warm will help him out, make sure he can cool down but don't turn off his heat sources. RI can be tricky (and usually expensive) but when caught early enough they usually recover. Watch for open mouth breathing and blowing bubbles out of the nose.

Oh boy.. How expensive are you thinking? He has had bubbles coming from his nose.. I think hes going to die by the time I can get him into the vet.. This is ridiculous.. He did just stretch his head way up looking like he was trying to get air.. How hot should his tank be?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can only speak for my vet costs but I got a russian from (sick) someone turned into me about 2 years ago and it cost me 250 for visits and meds. As for the temps I would bump it up like 5 degrees or so if you keep him warm he should be ok till the vet visit I am not trying to worry just trying to providing some info.

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I can only speak for my vet costs but I got a russian from (sick) someone turned into me about 2 years ago and it cost me 250 for visits and meds. As for the temps I would bump it up like 5 degrees or so if you keep him warm he should be ok till the vet visit I am not trying to worry just trying to providing some info.

I cant imagine him being ok til next Friday.. it just angers me that there is no other place to take him and to call the vets office and have them tell me the vet wont be in because she cant find anyone to watch her daughter.. They could have left that part out.. That makes me really mad..

firework

5 Year Member
When you say you feed him "beans", what kind of beans?

In general, beans should not be Greek's food. Depending on what kind of beans and if it is raw or steamed, some can be toxic.

pickadillydo said:
I bought a 4.5" male greek tortoise about 3 weeks ago and have grown extremely fond of him.. The first day I brought him home he ate a huge plate of spring greens and some green beans.. and for the next 4 days didnt really eat much of anything and hid most of the time.. I just figured he was trying to get used to his new environment so I left him alone and only bothered him for his daily morning soak.. Right now I and my husband are in the process of building him a tortoise table but for now he is in a 40Gal breeder tank.. the substrate is Aspen.. He has a hide spot with some hay.. Cool side is 74.3 degrees (thats where his hiding spot is, there is also a small heat mat made for a hermit crab tank under the side that he sleeps) and his basking spot is 93.3 where his slate is.. According to everything I have researched, Greeks like to bask.. He has a shallow water dish that his whole body fits in also on the cooler side along with his food dish.. His humidity is 38% .. After his 4 day waiting period he started coming out more and eating a few times a day..and basking on his own.. He did this for a good week and every morning I would soak him he would poop nice solid poops probably a little bigger than a raisin. sometimes 1 and then others 2 to 3 of them.. He would also pee and then pass the white urates.. Then all of a sudden he started eating less and sleeping more.. Id put him by his food and he would eat a piece of a green bean and then walk to his bed.. So Id take him out after 6 or 7 hrs of just sleeping and put him by his food and hed eat a few pieces and leave again..and go back to his bed.. I thought maybe I was making him to cold at night because I do have an air conditioner and when it was time for bed Id unplug his basking ceramic heater and also the heat mat and it was getting down to around 61 to 63 degrees.. so after a few days of that I decided to leave everything on at all times so I didnt chill him anymore.. Well He hasnt gotten any better.. infact I think hes getting worse.. He seems to be walking a little differently kind of like hes lethargic and weak and Im not sure if Im just being a worry wart but it seems to me he holds his head a bit crooked at times.. I put him on his basking spot today and he laid there for about 30 min and then went back to his bed.. Sometimes hell walk out to the middle of his cage and just lay there and sleep.. I just feel so bad for the little guy.. I have been searching high and low for a herp vet around here and I found one.. called to see what their hours are and they are open tomorrow so Im going to call and get him in.. if anyone has any ideas what this could be I would greatly appreciate any of your words of wisdom as I am at a loss and am heartbroken to see him not feeling good..
Thank you..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This little guy, Silas, lost his battle. This thread is part of I believe a total of three Post Subjects. I just thought I would update :(

Status
Not open for further replies.