Greek tortoise acting weird.

finnigan98

Hey everyone I'm new to this site! My tortoises name is Finnigan! I've had him for about a year. I have always fed him 5 times a week. I recently went on a trip which was originally supposed to be 3 days ended up being a 2 week adventure. I couldn't let anyone in to feed him cause they didn't have a key. So he went 2 weeks without being fed. He is now quite skinny. And doesn't really like to move except to eat. He has ate for 5 days straight now. And is still very sluggish and very skinny. I feel really bad. But it was unexpected and uncalled for. So I am asking y'all for help to see what type of lettuce or foods will put some weight on him quickly and get his energy back. And make him happy again! Thanks for helping!

Vitality

5 Year Member
I have had this same experience when I first got my greek tortoise. when I took him home he did not eat anything for 2 weeks so I made an free appointment for the vet. (which you should consider buts its pricey) and on the 14th date before I took him to the vet he started eating his food. also the vet also said he was perfectly healthy too.

I would just feed him 7 times a week. every day at the same time. you can weigh him if you have a scale and gauge his weight gain. and you should feed your tortoise 6 days a week not 5. could also help if you put edible plants in your enclosure so he can eat freely anytime.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Make sure you soak him, in luke warm water. It should help.

On another note, I like his name :D
If you've ever heard of JacksGap on YouTube, "Finn Finn the better twin" is what comes to mind :D

finnigan98

tffnytorts said:
Make sure you soak him, in luke warm water. It should help.

On another note, I like his name :D
If you've ever heard of JacksGap on YouTube, "Finn Finn the better twin" is what comes to mind :D

That's the first thing I did when I got home! And still no change.

And yeah I love his name :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Maybe he's just shaken up, it may take some more time. I'm not sure if you can do it to Greeks, but I soaked my sulcata in carrot baby food water to get her to eat

finnigan98

He eats I just want to know how to get some weight on him quickly?

tffnytorts said:
Maybe he's just shaken up, it may take some more time. I'm not sure if you can do it to Greeks, but I soaked my sulcata in carrot baby food water to get her to eat

And so how to get more energy?

kezilulu

Have you sprinkled any calcium on his food maybe and put his UV light on? Might help perk him up?! I've also heard that the carrot soak is a favourite of Russian's and perks them up not sure if it's the same for Greeks though
Hope he perks up!
xXx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where are you? Here in the States, we can buy a product called Mazuri Tortoise Diet. It's good for getting weight on a tortoise.