Tortoise injury

Mustafa Aysser

Location (City and/or State)
Zagazig
Pls help.
I have a Greek tortoise and it fall to the ground. There was a small crack in its shell but it can't move its back legs and always walk using only the front legs . Can someone pls help ?

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I couldn't find any reptile vet here . I live in Egypt and it's almost impossible here to find reptile vet but I forgot to say that it can use them during a warm water bath.
oh, alright. well, please provide pictures of his shell. you should also film a video of it walking, post it on youtube, and link it on here. how high did it fall? @mastershake @zovick @Pastel Tortie

Last edited:

Mustafa Aysser

Zagazig
oh, alright. well, please provide pictures of his shell. you should also film a video of it walking, post it on youtube, and link it on here. how high did it fall?
The size of the injury is about (0.5 × 1) cm
She fell over 80 cm to 90 cm high

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_034527.jpg
    IMG_20201002_034527.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I know that the injury isn't that bad but the problem is she walks only by front legs although she can use the back legs while getting a war bath
oh sorry, missed that part. can you send pictures of her legs? did you see exactly how she fell? i hope she didn't happen to fall on her legs ?

Mustafa Aysser

Zagazig
oh sorry, missed that part. can you send pictures of her legs? did you see exactly how she fell? i hope she didn't happen to fall on her legs ?
Unfortunately I didn't see her but don't think she fell on her legs as the crack is on her back so she might have fallen on her back with an angle of 30. Sry for responding too late the internet is slow

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_040625.jpg
    IMG_20201002_040625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20201002_040644.jpg
    IMG_20201002_040644.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Unfortunately I didn't see her but don't think she fell on her legs as the crack is on her back so she might have fallen on her back with an angle of 30. Sry for responding too late the internet is slow
ah, did you see any urine or poop? if so, maybe soak her for 30 minutes (you should do this anyway). you can try a baby food soak but i don't think that's really necessary unless she's not drinking. i'm not sure about her legs so you should wait until another member responds. hope she's okay!

Mustafa Aysser

Zagazig
ah, did you see any urine or poop? if so, maybe soak her for 30 minutes (you should do this anyway). you can try a baby food soak but i don't think that's really necessary unless she's not drinking. i'm not sure about her legs so you should wait until another member responds. hope she's okay!
Yes she is popping well and I soak her in a warm water .
Thanks allot for your help.

Mustafa Aysser

Zagazig
When did the fall occur? How long ago?
You said she moves the back legs in the water. Does she walk in the water?
Maybe some months but she was doing well when she first fell to the ground . After some days she didn't walk using her back legs and yes she walk when she is in a shallow warm water during her bath.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Maybe some months but she was doing well when she first fell to the ground . After some days she didn't walk using her back legs and yes she walk when she is in a shallow warm water during her bath.
It takes tortoises a long time to heal. I would recommend bathing the tortoise in the shallow warm water daily. It might also be a good idea to run warm water over the area on the back where the crack occurred to stimulate healing . Over time, hopefully the injury will heal and the tortoise will begin walking normally on land again. If the injury is/was too severe, the tortoise might be like this for life, so be prepared for that possibility.

Mustafa Aysser

Zagazig
It takes tortoises a long time to heal. I would recommend bathing the tortoise in the shallow warm water daily. It might also be a good idea to run warm water over the area on the back where the crack occurred to stimulate healing . Over time, hopefully the injury will heal and the tortoise will begin walking normally on land again. If the injury is/was too severe, the tortoise might be like this for life, so be prepared for that possibility.
Ok thanks . Iam already giving her a warm bath regularly