tortoise ID please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyager

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutter, Ca
I just got 5 more tortoises the other night and can't ID two of them. Any help would be great. The smallest of the two seems extremely dehydrated, so working on that one!

Attachments

• 100_0999[1].JPG
    100_0999[1].JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
  • 100_1000[1].JPG
    100_1000[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 108

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First one possibly a DT second looks like a sulcata. How is it that you get a group and don't know what kind? Did the owners not know? Not judging, just wondering.

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
wellington said:
First one possibly a DT second looks like a sulcata. How is it that you get a group and don't know what kind? Did the owners not know? Not judging, just wondering.

Real long story, so I will give you the readers digest version. I met an older lady several years ago that had many tortoises for a petting zoo. She had to move, So incrementally I have wound up with them all. She really had no clue of their husbandry or diet, and I wound up with a $1,000 vet bill before having to put her down. The lady has no idea what species they are. So, I have had to learn on my own and seek advice from you fine folks. These two little ones have obvious shell deformities, probably from the dry dog food and bread she feeds them. Anyhow, that's the story. I wound up with 13, and one was put down, so now have 12.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They look like desert tortoises to me. The eyes are a dead give-away.

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
Yvonne G said:

Huh! I will have to get some online pictures and check out the eyes! Thanks for the tip, they appear to be the same species to me, but what do I know! Ha ha

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
SulcataDud3 said:
I second this, their desert tortoises.
Yvonne G said:

Sounds like a consensus! They are DTs then. Thanks for weighing in for me, still very new to this world and learn more everyday!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Okay, let me just say that for 6 years I wanted one little itty bitty desert tortoise. Just one. Every time I thought, it didn't happen for whatever one reason or another. I had given up until I was given one the other day. You get the baker's dozen, less one poor baby (RIP, sorry it did not make it) now. That is insanely fortunate. They are treasures. I am so glad you are on this forum because if you search and read-read-read you will learn so much. Dog food and bread is so yukky for them. Time to give them grass and greens and lotsa love. Poor babies. Poor woman who did not know better. Like I said, they are all treasures. You are lucky to have them. An aldabra too? Wow! Take good care. Yay! : )

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Okay, let me just say that for 6 years I wanted one little itty bitty desert tortoise. Just one. Every time I thought, it didn't happen for whatever one reason or another. I had given up until I was given one the other day. You get the baker's dozen, less one poor baby (RIP, sorry it did not make it) now. That is insanely fortunate. They are treasures. I am so glad you are on this forum because if you search and read-read-read you will learn so much. Dog food and bread is so yukky for them. Time to give them grass and greens and lotsa love. Poor babies. Poor woman who did not know better. Like I said, they are all treasures. You are lucky to have them. An aldabra too? Wow! Take good care. Yay! : )

BeeBee finally got the DT shes been dreaming of or oh so long, alright! congrats to you both on your lucky finds. and to the original poster, you'll be well taken-care-of here. just be sure to read all that youre given.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
Thanks everyone for the advice and such. I always wanted one tortoise, ha ha ha right place at the right time I guess. I have more pens and houses to build, but it is a labor of love! I am not interested in breeding any of them, too many unwanted torts out there already. The lady I got them from was all about breeding and selling babies, but it never worked out that way for her, and that is probably good thing. The aldabra is one of my favorites, she is just so unassuming and does her own thing. I will post more pics as the "project" progresses

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That is so cool Dan! So glad you are on the forum and can't wait for you to share your "little" tortoise family with us as things progress. These tortoises are very lucky that you are their new host! Yay! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.